This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

logon

Every time i start Kubuntu it does not logon the usual way when it starts up i am presented with a black screen and i have to type start x to get it start properly i have a nvidia graphics card and the driver installed correctly (i think, i followed a tutorial to the t) and when i go to shut down the only option i have is to end current session i then at the black sscreen have to type poweroff in order to shut down. What could be causing those probs?

Thanks in advance

Re: logon

For the quick solution, try Ctrl+Alt+F7 (or Alt+F7), just in case the login manager is actually started, but you are left in the wrong virtual terminal after the boot.

(Ctrl+Alt+Fx shortcuts are used to switch between virtual terminals, 1-6 are reserved for text consoles and vt7 is the default terminal for X (and kde)).

The symptoms may also mean that kdm (the login manager for kde) doesn't start like it should at the end of the boot process.

To troubleshoot further, you could try (from the login console...the 'black screen'):
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start
    To see if that brings up the login screen. If it doesn't, you should get error messages that may be useful in tracking down the problem (if you can't decipher the errors yourself, posting the errors here is probably a good idea)

Comment

Re: logon

thanks for the reply i found some online help and messed up the system ended up doing a new install

thanks

Comment

Working...
      X