This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WMV plugin?

Is there a way to get a plugin for either Konqueror or Firefox that will play .wmv's?

Re: WMV plugin?

First you will need windows codecs:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re.../WindowsCodecs

The Useful plugin for Konqueror is kmplayer-konq-plugins and for Firefox mplayer-mozilla
    you will need to enable Universe and Multiverse to be able to get these and their dependencies
    Read here for why and how to do this
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats
    There are links with Kubuntu specific info there as well.

Comment

My 2¢ on this:

If you're a noob (like me) it's probably easier to just use Automatix2 (www.getautomatix.com)
      It's all point-and-click, and there's other cool stuff too.

Comment

yeah, cool stuff like potential problems down the road

Just my 25%, but if you need to edit the sources.list to install the Automatix, you might as well edit it yourself to be able to get 95% of what Automatix offers. You are only adding the word 'multiverse' in a couple of places and removing a couple of '#'. but to be fair, I think its only saving grace is it installs and enables Nvidia drivers they way it should be done.

So :
        90% of the stuff is available Ubuntu's repositories
        5% is filesharing stuff, which imnsho should involve a little work and understanding
        and the remaining 5 % (multimedia stuff) users should be pointed to the wiki so they know not just the how, but the why, as in the reasons why they have to jump through these extra hoops to begin with

Comment

Of course you are right, claydoh. If you want to get anywhere with Linux you have to roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty. Simple programs like Automatix probably slow down the learning curve for a lot of people.

Way back when I started, though (about 1.5 yrs ) I would have given anything for the easy way to set up my machine just so I could, say, listen to my old mp3 collection while I butchered my xorg.conf

Comment

I already have the codecs, I was just looking for a browser plugin.

Comment

Okay. Problem solved. I got kaffeine-mozilla off of Synaptic.

thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X