Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No write permission to mounted NTFS Drive!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No write permission to mounted NTFS Drive!

This driving me batty, I'm pretty sure this worked at one time but now it don't. I have 3 NTFS drives hooked up to my Kubuntu box which stores all my MP3's and I used to be able to dump my songs to these drives and now I get an error stating I don't have permissions. I've even tried it as root and no go.when I do a chmod 777 on the directory I get this.

steve@appzattak:~$ chmod 777 /media/hdh1
    chmod: changing permissions of `/media/hdh1': Read-only file system

Here is my fstab

steve@appzattak:~$ fdisk -l && cat /etc/fstab
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    # /dev/hde1
    UUID=d71d6d4f-cf98-41b1-a95f-ef01c8d634e4 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # /dev/hdf1
    UUID=3A00F03E00F00325 /media/hdf1 ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0 1
    # /dev/hdg1
    UUID=128C613E8C611D8B /media/hdg1 ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0 1
    # /dev/hde5
    UUID=d9ca0c4c-1efc-4bcc-8c16-aa44b73ff85e none swap sw 0 0
    /dev/hda /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0/dev/hdh1 /media/hdh1 ntfs user,suid,dev,exec 0 0
    /dev/hdh1 /media/hdh1 ntfs user,uid=1002,dev,defaults,suid,umask=007,gid=1000 ,exec,nls=utf8 0 0
    /1

I SSH'd into the box as root and could not dump music there, I logged into the GUI as root and tried it that way and nothing, please some guidance here would be greatly appreciated.

--Steve

Re: No write permission to mounted NTFS Drive!

The default for ntfs is to not write. To fix this, include 'rw' in the options string.

However, ntfs support under Linux is still shaky. There's a good chance attempted operations will fail. You could try captive-ntfs as a more reliable but slower alternative.

I suggest that if at all possible you don't use ntfs on the drives. Use a Linux file system like ext3, or failing that FAT will be better with Linux.
    I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Re: No write permission to mounted NTFS Drive!

Hmm - I think that ntfs defaults is ro (read-only). This may be incorrect ?. I have never tried to write into ntfs partition from linux.

This HOWTO: NTFS with read/write support using the ntfs-3g (easy & safe method) says:

Support of NTFS partition for linux has always been a problem. Projects exist since many years but was always experimental, and was claim to be not safe. But here come a new project ntfs-3g which claim to be capable for unlimited file creation and deletion.

These may help:

HOWTO: NTFS with read/write support using the ntfs-3g (easy & safe method)
      http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=217009

Understanding fstab
      http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=283131
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
      X