This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Sound Using Movie Player

I installed movie player with Automatix2 on my Kubuntu Dapper 6.06 system and do not have sound playing WMV files.

Does anyone have a suggestion on what I should be looking for to solve this problem ? I would appreciate it, thanks.............

Re: No Sound Using Movie Player

I installed movie player
    Kaffeine, mplayer, vlc .. ?

do not have sound playing WMV files.
    Kubuntu Desktop Guide (http://doc.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/desktopguide/C/index.html)
    tells:
    Codecs for playing non-free formats are not included in Kubuntu by default. You can get support for the extra codecs by installing the libxine-extracodecs package from the Multiverse repository (see the section called “Managing Repositories”).

Do you have w32 codecs ?
    RestrictedFormats
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Try closing any other programs you may have opened that produce sound. And obviously check the volume levels and your hardware.
      I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

ok, I tried Kaffeine, which I should have before, and the sound works fine with that. The trouble was when I would open a WMV file it was opening it by default with Mplayer, and that is the one which did not have sound.

So all is well, I'll just make sure I do not open WMV files with Mplayer.

Comment

Somewhere here in the forum someone said to download all files related to movieplayer named "bad" and "ugly." I did that and it workds quite well now.

Originally posted by obnascar
          ok, I tried Kaffeine, which I should have before, and the sound works fine with that. The trouble was when I would open a WMV file it was opening it by default with Mplayer, and that is the one which did not have sound.

So all is well, I'll just make sure I do not open WMV files with Mplayer.

Comment

Working...
          X