This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PDF files

I am running Kubuntu 6.06. I have set my file associations so that Kpdf will open and read .PDF files. And when I have a .PDF file on my hard disk it works fine. It even works sometimes when I am reading a .PDF file online.

But sometimes Kubuntu (or something) REQUIRES me to download the .PDF file before it will open it. Is this some parameter in the .PDF structure that the creator put in there, or is there something that I need to do in Kubuntu that will allow me to read the file on-line?

Sure, I can download the file and read it using Kpdf and then, if I don't want to keep it, I can delete the file. But this seems needless.

I would appreciate any suggestions as to how to remedy this "problem".

Re: PDF files

What web browser do you use?

Can you give links to files that exhibit the desired and also the bugged behaviour? Assuming it appears to be file specific.
    I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

There nothing on the PDF structure about that.

I'd bet that it is something in the web page. Maybe the Mime type reported for the file in the Http response.

It's a blind shot, of course, unless you give us some URLs to test it.

Javier.

Comment

I apologize for my original message. I have found in Firefox/Edit/Preferences/Downloads/Download Actions/View & Edit Actions/PDF that I can have the browser to Open the PDF file in place of downloading the file. So now I can open the PDF file; then, if I want to save it, I can do so.

I hope that this helps someone.

Comment

Working...
        X