This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update

Hi all I am new to Kubuntu. I had been using Ubuntu for about six months. The question I have is about Adept, does it notify you in the system tray like Synaptic that updates are available?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Chris

Re: Update

To cut it short: it is supposed to do so the application in charge is named adept_notifier.

Comment

thanks for the help! I had it disabled some how and when I ran it in Konsole it set it up to run again.

Comment

it is odd, but update-notifier happens on my other machines as soon as i boot into the system, but this laptop just stays on 24/7 and days/week can go by before it alerts me on this one. wonder if they can update the software to figure out suspend/resume

anyway, it works well if you turn off your computer at night like normal desktops
        --<br />wishing you well

Comment

Originally posted by a_hippie
          it is odd, but update-notifier happens on my other machines as soon as i boot into the system, but this laptop just stays on 24/7 [snipped]
          As far as I know, the according script is being called once, that is: at boot time, or, to be more precise: when you log in ... therefore: no (re-) start, no party ... unless you hack down a little script (re-) calling the notifier (back) to work once in a while (read: set up as a cron job).

HTH
          Birdy

Addenum: if now you feel sufficiently tempted, you may create a shell script (e.g. kickAdept.sh) with contents similar to the following, set up an according cron job - and enjoy 8)

Code:
          #!/bin/bash

# preemptive garbage collection

if [ "( ps aux | awk '$11 == "adept_notifier"' )" ] || [ "( ps aux | awk '$11 == "/usr/bin/adept_notifier"' )" ]
          	then
          		killall adept_notifier 1> /dev/null 2> /dev/null
          fi

# get the adept (back) to work

/usr/bin/adept_notifier --display :0 1> /dev/null 2> /dev/null

# game over
          Although this is a definite case of "as quick as dirty", on my machine it works as expected. - However, more elegant solutions have been discussed in this thread.

Comment

Working...
          X