This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flash plugin blocks sound

I know this is a well known issue but I'm wondering if there is an easy way to fix the problem. Whenever I load a Flash plugin in FF that plays sound it block all other apps and system sounds from the sound card. I followed a link in the firefox shell script which led me to a issue tracker of some sort describing the problem in detail. According to the posts on the issue tracker there appears to be an acceptable workaround for the issue but I couldn't make out exactly what was involved. Has anyone here gotten around the problem and if so would you help explain it to me in simple terms? Thanks in advance...

Cliff

Re: Flash plugin blocks sound

It looks like Firefox is setup to use esound on my Kubuntu system. Is there a particular reason for this? Can I make it use arts instead? Or should I try to make it use aoss? I'm looking for the most painless way to multiplex sound from Flash plugins with the rest of my system. Is there someplace I can go to learn more about how sound works on Linux?

Comment

Make it use aoss. /etc/firefox/firefoxrc should contain the line
      Code:
      FIREFOX_DSP="aoss"
      That should stop flash blocking sound. And if everything else on your system is well-behaved flash won't get blocked itself either.
      I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Thanx a heap! That fixed it! fore some reason I had FIREFOX_DSP="none". There has to be a reason I'm sure but I don't know what it could be. By chance would you know how to get VMWare to multiplex sound with the host OS? I run Kubuntu Dapper as my host and WinXP as a guest and if I have Amarok playing when I boot WinXP the sound card auto disables. I can only manually re-enable it after killing Amarok. Sometimes I can't re-enable it at all. (I'm guessing it's because a ghost Amarok process hangs somewhere during these times.)

Comment

FIREFOX_DSP="none" is the default. I suppose Mozilla are just playing it safe, but it does cause a fair bit of problems.

I don't know about VMWare sorry. I suggest you start another thread though.
          I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Working...
          X