This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox & Libgtk

First, Hello, my name is Brian and probably a potential full-time linux user.
    What i like best so far is that linux requires thinking, thus facing allot of challenges, which i don't mind

Second, i have a confession to make : I'm kind of a newbie to linux, but willing to learn.  After trying out several distributions , including Mandriva, Suse, and Ubuntu, i decided to go with Kubuntu (6.06) because i really like the KDE shell.

Now onto the problem, I tried to install Firefox 2.0 today but ran into some problems. What i did was simple. I downloaded the tar to my download folder (home/sickmonkey/downloads/, and uncompressed it to /opt. (I've red that in a tutorial or something). After the uncompressing (?) was done i created a shortcut to my desktop that linked to the following file

'/opt/firefox/firefox'

When i double click the icon it shows "Firefox - Loading application" on the taskbar and a nice bouncing firefox logo next to my cursor. After a few seconds the firefox thingy disappears from the taskbar and the bouncing logo disappears. However, firefox did not start whatsoever.

After a few searches on this forum i followed a few steps which eventually led me to execute the following command in console

sickmonkey@sickmonkey-laptop:/opt/firefox$ ./firefox

this gives me the following output

./firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot                                 open shared object file: No such file or directory

So, as far as my linux knowledge and common knowledge reaches, i think this is an error caused because :

a) I don't have the libgtk library installed
    b) I have the libgtk library, but i need to edit some firefox config file and get that to point towards the folder where the libgtk library can be found.

So, my question is  ; Which of the following answers is correct? And how do i see if i have the libgtk libraries installed?

Re: Firefox & Libgtk

Sickm0nkey,

the console command sudo dpkg --list | grep 'libgtk' should present a list of packages named "libgtk" (or something like that) to you - hopefully with an "ii" in the first column of the one you are looking for specifically, therewith stating that it is installed ... If, however, you prefer graphical interfaces, you may conduct a similar search trough Synaptic.

HTH
    Birdy

Comment

Working...
    X