This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edgy vs Dapper

Which do you think is the best overall version as far as compatibility, usability, and overall just works?
    Edgy Eft
    0%
    Dapper Drake
    0%

Re: Edgy vs Dapper

Its difficult to say, both have their strong points.

Edgy comes with lots of updated apps in the repository, but thats not good for those of us who dont like the new versions (i.e. Gaim 2.x Beta, Anjuta 2.x, etc...)

However Edgy comes with more bug fixes and better themes and such outofthebox.

Comment

AS mostly just another desktop user, I find little new in edgy that really affects me. The changes I notice aren't that positive, either. (AmaroK is more stable, but still a pain in the ass the crashes X some times).
      I think Dapper was more well rounded, and did all the things Edgy does....

Comment

I was thinking about upgrading to Edgy Eft 6.10 using the update manager but at the last minute I changed my mind and decided to stick with my 6.06
        I haven't had any problems, everything is working great, it's just the "I want the new one" syndrome that was taking over. If I find that it really is worth the upgrade then I'll do it, I just want a nice stable system.

Comment

I tried Edgy for a couple of days and liked the artwork, but it seemed slower than Dapper to me. It also left me the impression that the applications were just picked up and put there without any additional work, after all they were very new and the developers had only four month to release it. I'm used to Dapper and I think I'll stick with it long time from now. If KDE4 will be in Feisty (I do hope it will be) then I'll install it and stick with it, if not then I don't think I'll remove Dapper until the first release with KDE4.
          Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air...<br />My Kubuntu Help Page My Linux Scripts &amp; Plugins Page My Blog

Comment

Dapper. My Edgy experiences are as follows:

Attempt apt-get dist-upgrade. No X. Can't work out how to fix it.

Fresh Edgy install. Swap is not set up, I'm sure I told the installer to use it.

Firefox 2.0 in particular suffers awful slowdown with more than about 4 tabs.

upstart has no noticeable speed boost over init on my system, and the information is replaced by an xp-style anonymous progress bar. Couple that with spontaneous reboots on startup, wholly unexplained and for myself, not like.

Back to Dapper. I don't have a decent graphic chip so I can't get any benefit from compiz and such.

I'm staying with Dapper until Feisty is released. Edgy somehow seems rushed. Which, of course, it was.
            I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

well me too was thinking about moving to Edgy but I dont know which one will be better? I think I should stick to Dapper as u guys say so.

I will wait a major upgrade version like 7 u know

Comment

You should realise that Ubuntu version numbers are a bit unusual compared to most other software. They're simply the year.month of release. Meaning the change from 6.06 Dapper Drake to 6.10 Edgy Eft will not necessarily be any smaller than the change from 6.10 to 7.4 Feisty Fawn. Ubuntu releases are meant to track GNOME, which has a 6 month release cycle; Dapper was late but Edgy has 'caught up'. Of course that's not so good for the KDE side of things.
                I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

I have found Edgy to be (slightly) better in the area of laptop support. Unfortunately, KDE4 will be released after Feisty. Well, at least I assume so, since they don't have an actual date. Like others, my upgrade to Edgy was not an enjoyable experience. But after a clean install (as the developers recommend) everything runs fairly smoothly. My laptop goes hit the 100% CPU activity quite easily when attempting to multi task, but I attribute that to only having 256 MB of RAM, and not the instability of the OS.

Comment

For me, Edgy is much better. Dapper never would install on my system, it would just wipe my drive clean and leave me with no OS at all! Edgy installed with no problem at all. I love Upstart! My computer starts up quick and best of all no multiple instances of drives showing up!

Edgy had to be one of the best installs of any OS ever! I simply installed Edgy, updated it, and ran Automatix2 to get all my multimedia working. I had a completely usable systems in a very short period of time. The artwork in Edgy is also very nice. The colors,menu's and icons that came stock with Edgy are still in use on my system.

I also try a lot of new things on my computer, Fluxbox, IceWM, Fxce, Beryl, the list goes on and on. With most distro's I probably would have re-installed the OS at least a few times for all my experimenting but I have not been able to break Edgy yet!

The only thing that bugs me at all in Edgy are the Konsole errors, but I am so used to working around them that it is really not an issue any more.

I am extremely happy using Edgy and highly recommend it to friends!

Comment

Drapper is cool. Edgy, well after overcoming hurdls with the wierd fstab setup, which broke my grub almost every reboot and was solved by some freindly help from this forum, is coolerjavascript:replaceText(' ', document.forms.postmodify.message);

Does that mean stable, for me yes. I have everything I need here and it is faster than Drapper. That probably is the fault of kde 3.5.5 and a few other things. After automatix2 no sound or video crashed. what should I say? It is edge stuff and I like it.

On the other hand I don't understand the reason for this thread. i mean to each is/her own, right. And what works best is best

Cheers
                      F
                      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                      4 GB Ram
                      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
                        Drapper is cool. Edgy, well after overcoming hurdls with the wierd fstab setup, which broke my grub almost every reboot and was solved by some freindly help from this forum, is coolerjavascript:replaceText(' ', document.forms.postmodify.message);

Does that mean stable, for me yes. I have everything I need here and it is faster than Drapper. That probably is the fault of kde 3.5.5 and a few other things. After automatix2 no sound or video crashed. what should I say? It is edge stuff and I like it.

On the other hand I don't understand the reason for this thread. i mean to each is/her own, right. And what works best is best

Cheers
                        F
                        Just to help you understand the reason for this thread : I have used different linux distros in the past several years but it wasn't till I came across Kubuntu when I decided to completely get rid of windows (and it couldn't have come at a better time). So since I thought I've found the one distro I've been searching for I wanted to see what the community thought of each version. Now that I have an external backup of my files it made it easier to give it a try. Of course linux is all about choice but I like my choices being made after a little research. But to each his own.
                        I've been using Edgy now probably for about a month and I really like it, but then again I really liked Dapper as well. I did a fresh install (force of habit after suffering from windows upgrades in the past) then installed automatix and everything works perfectly just as it did for me in Dapper however I do notice some speed improvements.

Comment

Greetings,
                          I am still fairly new to the Kubuntu Scene... Have any of you installed Edgy that have an ATI X800 XL or a similar card in that family? It was an annoyance to work with @ orginal install I was limited to a 640X480 res and displayed I was running a negative resolution. Now that I've 'successfully' installed the drivers my pc doesn't shut down or reboot properly...

I think I'm missing something... but it would be great if I didn't have to go through the hassle to begin with!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X