This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Formatting

i have installed win xp and Kubuntu in seperate partitions.
    when i boot in from xp i can access to the drive where kubuntu is installed. but kubuntu files cannot be access. But when i boot from Kubuntu, if i want to go to the partition where winxp is installed a massege says the "cannot mount disk" what does this mean

can i format the partition where xp is installed in Kubuntu platform?

i cant access the floppy drive also when i go from kubuntu?

Re: Formatting

Windows can't really read Linux file systems. It shows a drive is there but you can't get to it. There is a program that adapts Windows so it can use Linux drives, but I don't how to install it, so I'll keep my mouth shut on that. :-)

In Linux there is the "root folder." Everything in Linux starts from there. In order to use a drive you have to create a directory for it in the root file system and "mount" it there.

I don't have floppy drives on any of my computers so I don't know if Linux mounts them by default. I know my CD and DVD drives were.

Can I offer a suggestion? Linux is *very* different from Windows. This is a very good basic overview of Linux:
    http://tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/index.html

It's a pretty quick read. There are exercises at the end of each section to help you practice. It answered a lot of my questions when I was new - and more importantly helped me to know which questions to ask and how to ask them. :-)

Before you go getting into the advanced stuff I'd suggest you stick with comes installed with Linux. Set up your movie and music player. Get a few games you like installed. Get used to what does what. Have a computer you can enjoy as well as work on.

Welcome to Linux! We'll help all we can, the people here are very nice.

Comment

Re: Formatting

Originally posted by arshad3m
      kubuntu files cannot be access.
      If you want or need to see your kubuntu files from XP there is a small tool you can use from XP it is called NEMO, search on GOOGLE.
      Another large application is crossover.
      can i format the partition where xp is installed in Kubuntu platform?
      Yes, Kubuntu contains a program called QTParted, which you can use for this.

i cant access the floppy drive also when i go from kubuntu?
      You can access your floppy when in Kubuntu.
      All disks you need to use which are not automatically "mounted" needs to be mounted.
      The necessary settings for this is found in a file called /etc/fstab
      look for a line similar to this:
      /dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0
      If it is not there add it, but do not edit anything unless you are confident about what you are doing.

Comment

Working...
      X