This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samba/SWAT - Sharing a network printer

I've got a printer that is connected to my network with a fixed ip address. I can print to it from my kubuntu 6.06 lts system.

What I want to do next is to share this printer so that my Windows systems can print to it through my kubuntu system so that it manages the print jobs. I could connect the Windows systems directly to this printer, but I really want to do it in Samba like I do at work with Windows servers where you manage the network printer on a particular server.

I do best with using gui tools and then going to look at the configuration file to see what the tool did and to learn from that. So I used the package manager to install SWAT and it said it was successful, but when I open a browser for http://localhost:901 I get an error indicating that can't establish a connection with localhost:901.

My next attempt was to try and get Webmin. Unfortunately the maintainer for the debian package stopped maintaining it so it was withdrawn from the repositories. I tried getting the debian package from the webmin site, but it won't install successfully.

So where do I go next? Anyone have a clue why I can't open SWAT?
Working...
X