X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Adept

Hi
    is there a way to update adepts data base manually as I have installed sane-backends from source using checkinstall and it has updated the data base to include sane-backends but sane backends includes libsane, sane utillitys and sane frontends. These have not been added to the data base and hence they need to be.

Any assistance with this would most wellcome and thanks in advance

Regards John.

Re: Question about Adept

I might be misunderstanding your question. If you installed a package with checkinstall every library included in the tarball you downloaded and compiled from will be in the deb package in the package manager for easy uninstalling.

If you compiled a library file from source and didn't add it with checkinstall, I don't think you could add it as a deb now. Maybe recompile and install with checkinstall?

If you want to enable the additional repositories in Kubuntu see this page:
    http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/sources

Comment

Adept uses etc/apt/sources.list to search for updates, so to update your "data base" you have to edit that list.
      Alt +F2, then type kdesu kate /etc/apt/sources.list
      type your password and then start editing.
      sane-backends are found in security

http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/po...sane-backends/
      so if you have not added it to the list, add:
      deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ dapper-security universe multiverse
      save the list and open a terminal, type
      sudo apt-get update

Comment

Hi,
        first let me say thank you both for your kind replies.
        Podunk you did understand me correctly I used checkinstall(not make install) for the reason's you stated but sane-backend source also installs libsane and sane-utils sane back-ends shows up as installed but the other packages do not.
        the same is true for xsane which shows xsane as installed but not xsane-common.

Adder,
        thanks for the assistance it was not that I want to update the back-end. My reason for compileing sane-backends from source was to add a modified canon back-end as the one supplied with 1.0.17 Kubuntu or 0.018 tar zip do not function correctly with a canon 2700f film scanner on Kubuntu This left me with the problem that as libsane did not show up as installed in Adept it would not install any of the graphical front-ends, so I installed xsane from source to solve the problem, but I will try editing the list as you suggest to avoid future problems.

Thanks to everyone again John

Adder, that only gives me the source list, what I need to do is edit the data base of installed packets

Comment

Working...
        X