X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bootsplash, Splash, KDM....Help

Hello Kubuntu Users!

I have a couple of questions regarding the terms Splash, Bootsplash, and a KDM theme.

I'm not sure if I have this correct but this is how I understand things.

(1) Bootsplash: This is the image in the background of the GRUB menu

(2) Splash:This is the image which blinks when you login and start up KDE

(3) KDM Themes: These are your "login" screens.

Is that correct?

What is the screen called which scrolls the text letting you know Linux is loading drivers, mounting the root directory, etc, upon choosing Kubuntu in the GRUB menu? Or is that the "bootsplash"?

I would like to change that "scrolling text" image to the Shodan version I find here:
    http://ww.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=12674

Now, I have read the Ubuntu Wiki which tells you to use Usplash to change the bootsplash image. Is this what I want to do?

The Wiki is located here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/US...omizationHowto

This looks like what I want to do, but the Shodan download comes with several cfg files and splash images already premade as well as alternate instructions (see How to install link) that do not work at all, likely because is not a splash image which is what KSplash installs.

Any suggestions? Has anyone managed to get this to work to look like the image on the shodan link above?

Cheers,

t.
    GPG Key ID# 0x3AE05130

Re: Bootsplash, Splash, KDM....Help

Bootslpash is the animated screen that you see when booting, after the GRUB menu. Ubuntu uses it's own bootsplash engine, called USplash. This is the reason why most bootsplash themes on KDE-Look won't work on Kubuntu. The ones on KDE-Look use fbsplash or another bootsplash engine (I forgot the name, but it's the one used by MEPIS).
    Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Originally posted by Jucato
      Bootslpash is the animated screen that you see when booting, after the GRUB menu. Ubuntu uses it's own bootsplash engine, called USplash. This is the reason why most bootsplash themes on KDE-Look won't work on Kubuntu. The ones on KDE-Look use fbsplash or another bootsplash engine (I forgot the name, but it's the one used by MEPIS).
      Ah! So it is the bootsplash then. Sad that Kubuntu doesn't use a similar bootsplash engine, well for me anyways. I really liked that Shodan look.

Thanks for the reply and clearing up the confusion.

Cheers,

t.
      GPG Key ID# 0x3AE05130

Comment

So isnt there any way to get Bootsplashes working on kubuntu?
        Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon - Registered Linux User--> # 15709

Comment

There is also a package "grub-splashimages" that provides a few background images for the Grub boot screen. Plus you can make your own, as per this site: http://ruslug.rutgers.edu/~mcgrof/grub-images/ . If you can learn the specs for the USplash images, you could probably make them too. Anyone know?

Comment

It would be interesting to know how to change (or improve) the boot splash.

Comment

A quick search found this:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/US...omizationHowto

I tried to follow this process with that "Shodan" image, but didn't quite get it working correctly -- I think I got close, but had to move on to other work. I'll try it again when I have 20 minutes and also time to reboot.

Comment

Let me know. I'm interested.

Comment

Working...
                X