Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to install Firefox 2.0 (doesn't appear in adept)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to install Firefox 2.0 (doesn't appear in adept)

I was wondering how I would upgrade to Firefox 2.0. I have 1.5.0.7, and I did an update and a full upgrade in adept, but it still only offers 1.5. Should I install it via the command line from the .tar.gz file from mozilla.com? If so, should I uninstall Firefox 1.5?

Thanks

Re: How to install Firefox 2.0 (doesn't appear in adept)

Hi

Take a look at this
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FirefoxNewVersion
    Registered Linux User #418555<br />Kubuntu User #9254<br /><br />aptosid 2010-01 Xfce / aptosid 2010-01 KDE-Lite<br />Debian Wheezy Xfce / Kubuntu 10.04<br />aptosid 2011-01 Xfce / aptosid 2011-01 KDE-Lite<br />Debian Testing Gnome<br />Debian Sid Gnome<br />Epidemic 3.2<br />ALL pulseaudio free by default

Comment

Or, if you don't want to copy and paste that many commands, look at this script:
      http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/firefox
      Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by aysiu
        Or, if you don't want to copy and paste that many commands, look at this script:
        http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/firefox
        Thanks, I got that script from a link in the page from the previously posted link. Firefox was installed successfuly. Looks nice with the KDEFF theme.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxwizard
          I don't get it...If 6.06 was dubbed LTS for "Long Term Support" why the hell isn't Firefox 2 just available through apt-get instead of having to perform circus tricks just to upgrade to the latest version? Did somebody just decide that "Long Term Support" only includes support for things that aren't too tough for them to figure out how to support? It's pretty bad when a Firefox upgrade on a Windows system is easier than a Firefox upgrade on a Debian based Linux system.

I know you believe you understand what you<br />think I said, but I&#039;m not sure you realize<br />that what you heard is not what I meant...<br />--Richard Nixon

Comment

Hi
            Use the link that aysiu posted above alot easier to use and the one i ended up using. And yes that is my question also if they want to tweak them they should issue updates quickly. This has been a problem i have come across also. Why don't they just use Mozilla's and leave it alone. The same goes with Thunderbird to slow on updates.
            Registered Linux User #418555<br />Kubuntu User #9254<br /><br />aptosid 2010-01 Xfce / aptosid 2010-01 KDE-Lite<br />Debian Wheezy Xfce / Kubuntu 10.04<br />aptosid 2011-01 Xfce / aptosid 2011-01 KDE-Lite<br />Debian Testing Gnome<br />Debian Sid Gnome<br />Epidemic 3.2<br />ALL pulseaudio free by default

Comment

Yeah I agree that it should be made available to people, I don't really know but can it be that hard to at least add it to the the apt-cache search list? Just being the nerd that I am I downloaded FF2 the day it came out and used it instead of the older one, but one included in an install manager would be nice. I now have an older version installed that is was just updated to 1.5.08 today but I use version 2 exclusively. I would like to upgrade to Edgy Eft (because among other things it includes FF2) but am waiting to see if things will be better or worse before I make the move.

Comment

Working...
              X