This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Default Browser

I am running Firefox as my default browser, but when I click on a link, say in an email, it opens the link in Konqueror. Now I'm sure that Konqueror is a good browser, but I want it to open in Firefox.

Today I received email from an airline from whom I purchased airline tickets; this email allowed me to register and get my seat assigned. When I clicked on the link it opened Konqueror and I proceeded to register. All went well until I tried to print out my boarding pass; then Konqueror crashed! The error message said that it was an application error.

Well, I got around it by going back to my email, copying the link (it wouldn't let me OPEN WITH) to Firefox, and getting the boarding passes RE-printed under Firefox..

But that's not what I want: I want Firefox to be my Internet Browser. I don't mind if Konqueror is my file manager, etc. I want Firefox to be my Internet Browser!

I have set Firefox as my default browser in every place that I can think of. How do I get Konqueror to LET GO?

Thanks for your help.

Re: Default Browser

You're on Dapper, I presume?
    I think you need this extra step

Code:
    sudo update-alternatives --config x-www-browser
    Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Yes, I'm on Dapper (just downloaded and burned Edgy Eft CD). Thanks again, Jucato, that fixed my problem.

I think I'm going to have to do some exploring in Linux. That's the first time I've been to /etc/alternatives. I need to find some documentation on update-alternatives. [I just typed in terminal "update-alternatives --help" and "man update-alternatives", so I see that help is available, but I have not seen the program mentioned in any documentation.

Thanks again.

Comment

Glad it helped. update-alternatives is also the way you can set your Java version from gcj to Sun (if you installed it).

That being said, this shouldn't be the proper way to change the default browser. The settings in System Settings should be enough. I think it's more of a bug.
        Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Originally posted by Jucato
          That being said, this shouldn't be the proper way to change the default browser. The settings in System Settings should be enough. I think it's more of a bug.
          Yup, I think some (gtk) software (like thunderbird) can't pick up the kde default browser settings.

Comment

Working...
          X