X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resizing the primary partition

Hi,

I want to try out upgrading Dapper to Edgy, but first want to install a base install of Dapper on another partition.

Trouble is all available space is allocated to my primary partition. How can I safely resize my primary partition.

Note, I have only been using Linux for 5 months, but can use console sessions.

Re: Resizing the primary partition

gparted is a great program to use. gparted has a live cd that fits on a mini cd. the iso is about 60 mb and has plenty of tools. as always back up anything important. My advice would be to resize the partition before you go to bed. sometimes it appears like it hangs and takes a long time to get out of it. so once it is in motion go to bed. hopefully in the morning it has finished. Sometimes I have found it frozen in the process, rebooted and the partition was resized safely. gparted is a great program for disk management but if you are resizing your primary partition you cannot work on a mounted partition. so boot using the live gparted cd.

Comment

Hi,

I downloaded the Gparted Live CD ISO and burned it to CD.

The CD boots fine but when selecting continue on the first menu screen every thing hangs eventually ending up in Kernel Panic.

I noticed that the HDD/CD activity light on my laptopremained lit even when the CD is not being accessed,and a message sayingthat hdc was not ready.

Any other way?

Comment

You could use xubuntu live cd and download gparted. I mention xubuntu since it load s quicker than ubuntu or kubuntu live. And since the HD is not mounted you can start using the program. do you have a dual boot? if so do a disk clean up, defrag and try it again. If that does not work you could download damn small linux boot into the live cd, install the qtparted in the dsl extensions and try that.

Comment

Working...
        X