Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bug: soft lockup detected on CPU#0 - HELP!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bug: soft lockup detected on CPU#0 - HELP!!

Hi all,

i installed Edgy on my Dell Inspiron 9400 (dual core, wifi, ATI X1400) and everything worked fine for one day.

Since this morning the system does not boot anymore, because when mounting local file systems i get an "Bug: soft lockup detected on CPU#0" error.

No problem, I thought, so I decided to boot from the CD and reinstall everything, but the CD boot produces the same error now!!!

I cannot boot into single user mode, same error.

Any Ideas or solutions?

thx
    Martin

Re: Bug: soft lockup detected on CPU#0 - HELP!!

I have experienced the same problem and so have many others apparently. I have tried with enabling and disabling (from bios) network interfaces and so on.

What finally seemed to help was to set the CPU not to use the "dual core" but act as a single core CPU. At least for now I can work...

Kubuntu Edgy RC1
    Dell Inspiron 6400 (Centrino Core Duo)

Sinclair

Comment

Originally posted by Sinclair
      I have experienced the same problem and so have many others apparently. I have tried with enabling and disabling (from bios) network interfaces and so on.

What finally seemed to help was to set the CPU not to use the "dual core" but act as a single core CPU. At least for now I can work...

Kubuntu Edgy RC1
      Dell Inspiron 6400 (Centrino Core Duo)

Sinclair
      continued experimenting after a successful boot and can now use duo core cpu once more - but have disabled wireless in bios settings (am not using it anyhow).

sinclair

Comment

Had the same problem. But the problems started with difficulty in loggin into a Gnome session (or a KDE session). I have an Inspiron 6400, centrino duo, laptop.

The message I got was:
        Xsession: unable to launch "starte16 GNOME" Xsession --- "starte16 GNOME" not found; falling back to default session.

I did:

- reboot
        - starting up in restricted mode
        - apt-get install xserver-org
        >> got comment about "not updating /etc/X11/X;"
        - apt-get remove xserver-xorg
        - apt-get install xserver-xorg
        >> got comment something like "maybe we screwed up, old xorg.conf is renamed (with date on the end) and we installd a new /etc/X11/xorg.conf"
        - shutdown -r now
        - apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
        - reboot

Now it works, if something breaks again along this line, i will come back.

Comment

I have had the same problem. It seems to be intermittent on my computer (Fujitsu Lifebook S7110), so that sometimes I when I boot up I will get this message and have to cut the power, and other times it will be okay...

If anyone has any suggestions, that´d be great.

Comment

Working...
          X