This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uninstall OpenOffice

I want to uninstall OpenOffice but still want to have KubuntuDesktop anyway to do this?

Re: Uninstall OpenOffice

The package mamager should do it.
    Cameron Meeks<br />Ubuntu registered as user #16602<br />Linux registered as user #415113

Comment

it tells me i have to remove kubuntu desktop if i want to remove openoffice

Comment

kubuntu-desktop is a meta-package (which means it's a package that does not contain anything in itself, it just depends on other packages so you can install lots of packages easily by installing just the meta-package)

kubuntu-desktop depends on everything that is installed by default in kubuntu (so you can easily install kubuntu on an ubuntu machine by installing just 'kubuntu-desktop', for example) As it depends on all the default packages, if you remove any of the default packages/programs (like openoffice), kubuntu-desktop package will also get removed.

You can safely let it remove the 'kubuntu-desktop' package, as a meta-package it does not contain anything in itself (the actual software packages won't be removed if the meta-package is removed).

One word of caution, usually you should install 'kubuntu-desktop' back before you dist-upgrade to a new release version of kubuntu (6.06>6.10>7.04 etc.). Since new release versions may bring new default packages, having kubuntu-desktop ensures those packages will get installed. (After a dist-upgrade you can remove it again)

Comment

ok cool thanks for the info kubicle i learned quite a bit from it

Comment

Working...
          X