X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing ethereal

Greetings,
    I just installed kubuntu-6.06.1 desktiop on my notebook computer. I am new to Linux but am going to use it as my primary os. I needed to install ethereal so I could do a bit of network monitoring (figure out why lan is sluggy).

I launched adept manager and used it to install updates (get firefox as well). that worked sweet. When I tried to get ethereal, it didn't show it as a choice. When I launched terminal and did: sudo apt-get install ethereal I get an error: can't find package ethereal.

I assume I need to access another repository, but am unsure how to do it. So, for the newbie, how do I get/install ethereal ?

thanks in advance.

-D

Re: Installing ethereal

Right now I can't access my kubuntu machine so I'll guess. I suppose that you are using the Add/Remove Programs menu on Kmenu, maybe you should try using Adept (Package Manager) on the System menu.

Also etherreal is a gnome app, so you should search it with the Any Suite option on the Adept Installer.

Also you can try a apt-get update before all.

Hope this help you

Comment

Sorry,
      No I was not using add/remove programs (looked at it after your post, but it doesn't show ethereal, no matter the choices). I tried adept prior to my first posting. I also tried the command line : sudo apt-get install ethereal. That command results in an error message: E: Couldn't find package ethereal
      I am trying the command Konsole.

any ideas greatly appreciated.

-Darryl

Comment

ethereal is in (synaptic) networking using the universe repositories ...

Comment

sorry that I am thick, but I am new to Kubuntu, and adept. If I go to manage respositories, I don't see "universe repository". So, if you could point me in the right direction for getting adept to use "that respository" so I could select ethereal from the networking and install it, I would appreciate it. If this is a common request that occurs over and over, then a pointer to where the info exists would be quite fine.

thanks,
          Darryl

Comment

figured it out. "enabled" the universe repositories in the manage repositories screen. Then did fetch update. Then searched for ethereal and installed. worked like a champ.

thanks for all the help.

-Darryl

Comment

Working...
            X