This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with mounting disks & usb flash

I have a strange problem since a week or so. I am running Kubuntu 6.06.1 and have a disk partitioned in several "bits" like /, Home and swap. There is also an ntfs partition and a vfat (small rescue thing).

Now if I go to "Storage Media" and click on any of the ntfs or vfat I get the following message;
    "Could not mount device. The reported error was: mount: /dev/sda2 already mounted or /media/sda2 busy. mount: according to mtab, /dev/sda2 is already mounted on /media/sda2"

More or less the same error happens if I insert a USB flash memory or a USB camera.
    In all cases I can get around it by "going root" and use eg Krusader in root mode. I can then access the disk/usb/camera.

but a while ago I just accessed these no problems and when a USB or camera was inserted I could access as "a normal user".

Anyone has ideas?

Sinclair

Re: Problems with mounting disks & usb flash

have now discovered that CD/DVDs behave in the same manner. I insert the CD, it comes up on the desktop but click on it and I get the same message as with USB.

What can have gone wrong with permissions? Will soon have to give up and reinstall and I don't look forward to that

Sinclair

Comment

Sinclair,

if no one else dares to, I'll try to help you on but, in order to do so, I need more information. Therefore, could you please post the contents of the file /etc/fstab as well as the feedback to the console command ls -l /media ... hopefully, this will provide some indication of what's going wrong.

Birdy

Comment

There is a solution at:

deb http://kubuntu.org/packages/kde-354 dapper main

It worked for my when my USB pen drives wouldn't mount after updating to KDE 3.5.5

Hope it helps you.

Comment

Originally posted by penguin.ch
          Sinclair,

if no one else dares to, I'll try to help you on but, in order to do so, I need more information. Therefore, could you please post the contents of the file /etc/fstab as well as the feedback to the console command ls -l /media ... hopefully, this will provide some indication of what's going wrong.

Birdy
          Thanks for trying!

Here is my fstab;
          # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
          #
          # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
          proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
          /dev/sda3 / ext3 nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 1
          /dev/sda6 /home ext3 nouser,defaults,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 2
          /dev/sda1 /media/sda1 vfat defaults,utf8,umask=007,uid=0,gid=46,auto,rw,nouse r 0 1
          /dev/sda2 /media/sda2 ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,uid=0,gid=46,auto,rw,u ser 0 1
          /dev/sda5 none swap sw 0 0
          /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0

and my mtab with a usb device mounted (last line) but not avaiable unless you are root;
          /dev/sda3 / ext3 rw,errors=remount-ro 0 0
          proc /proc proc rw 0 0
          /sys /sys sysfs rw 0 0
          varrun /var/run tmpfs rw 0 0
          varlock /var/lock tmpfs rw 0 0
          procbususb /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0
          udev /dev tmpfs rw 0 0
          devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
          devshm /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
          lrm /lib/modules/2.6.15-27-686/volatile tmpfs rw 0 0
          /dev/sda6 /home ext3 rw 0 0
          /dev/sda1 /media/sda1 vfat rw,utf8,umask=007,uid=0,gid=46 0 0
          /dev/sda2 /media/sda2 ntfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,nls=utf8,umask=007,uid=0,gi d=46 0 0
          /dev/sdb1 /media/sdb1 vfat rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,quiet,shortname=mixed,uid=1 000,gid=1000,umask=077,iocharset=utf8 0 0

and here is from ls -l media;
          total 32
          lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6 2006-10-07 11:11 cdrom -> cdrom0
          drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2006-10-07 11:11 cdrom0
          drwxrwx--- 3 root plugdev 16384 1970-01-01 02:00 sda1
          dr-xr-x--- 1 root plugdev 8192 2006-10-12 13:16 sda2
          drwx------ 8 sinclair sinclair 4096 1970-01-01 02:00 sdb1

Sinclair

Comment

Re: Problems with mounting disks &amp; usb flash

Sinclair,

prior to (hopefully unnecessarily) delving into details, could you please post the feedback to the console command id (executed as user "sinclair") - just want to verify this user's identification as uid=1000 gid=1000 as well as his "membership" to the group 46 (plugdev).

Birdy

Comment

Sinclair,

prior to (hopefully unnecessarily) delving into details, could you please post the feedback to the console command id (executed as user "sinclair") - just want to verify this user's identification as uid=1000 gid=1000 as well as his "membership" to the group 46 (plugdev).

Birdy
              Sure thing Birdy, here it is;
              uid=1000(sinclair) gid=1000(sinclair) groups=4(adm),20(dialout),24(cdrom),25(flo ppy),29(audio),30(dip),44(video),46(plugdev),106(l padmin),110(scanner),111(admin ),1000(sinclair)

Sinclair

Comment

Sinclair,

in the following I will try to sort a few things out ...:

First of all, please do your nerves (as well as mine) a favour and backup the fstab: sudo cp -av /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.orig ... having done so, I would suggest trying to clean up the fstab a little.

Prior to that, some lecturing (sorry for that): file systems mentioned in the fstab are supposed to be mounted on system (re-) boot, according to the parameters provided. In other words: in System Places they should show up as "allready mounted" ... (except for entries containing noauto as parameter).

What is bound to cause trouble, is the list of parameters you are providing to this "mount at boot" process: uid=0,gid=46,umask=007,nouser means "owned by root, usable by plugdev, not to be mounted by users" ... I think you get the point ... on my machine(s) things look a little different: user,uid=1000,gid=1000, resulting in file systems mounted at boot time, owned by the "default" user and subject to "normal" behaviour in terms of "usability".

Remark: mounting a NTFS file system to be "writeable" (as the parameter rw says) testifies that you are courageous,to say the least ...

As for the USB problem, all I know is that the hotplug mechanism is buggy, and that the "plugdev solution" will not help you on ... but if it is an "immobile" device, you can try to mount it "statically" (read: by device ID) - see these notes for further details.

I'm afraid that this is all I can tell at the moment - but I will give it some more thoughts ...

Birdy

--

Postscript: reference updated

Comment

Birdy, no problems with educating/lecturing. The fstab was created by Kubuntu Dapper 6.06.1 so I am not responsible for any "daring" parts of it. Blame Jonathan Riddell

As for the ntfs and vfat I don't use them while in Kubuntu, one is a XP and the other one a small "restore" partition. I am not touching those until I am 110% sure Kubuntu is all fine. So they are mounted just because they were found during install I guess.

So for now I am not going to touch those parts as they seem unrelated to the hotplug part (that now also includes mounting a cd or dvd).

Regards,
                  Sinclair

Comment

Originally posted by Sinclair
                    The fstab was created by Kubuntu Dapper 6.06.1 so I am not responsible for any "daring" parts of it.
                    No surprise to me However, from my experience, it could be helpful to kick out what seems to be superflous - in doubt, simpy in order to get a clearer view on what's left (read: is supposed to be of some use).

As for the hotplug stuff, I'm quite sure that the HAL part doesn't work properly ... which version is installed on your system? On mine, 0.5.7-ubuntu18 does the job (not flawlessly, but acceptable); on another (Debian Kanotix) machine, 0.5.8 is installed and works like a charm (at first sight, at least) ... so there is still hope

Birdy

Comment

The fstab was created by Kubuntu Dapper 6.06.1 so I am not responsible for any "daring" parts of it.
                      No surprise to me However, from my experience, it could be helpful to kick out what seems to be superflous - in doubt, simpy in order to get a clearer view on what's left (read: is supposed to be of some use).

As for the hotplug stuff, I'm quite sure that the HAL part doesn't work properly ... which version is installed on your system? On mine, 0.5.7-ubuntu18 does the job (not flawlessly, but acceptable); on another (Debian Kanotix) machine, 0.5.8 is installed and works like a charm (at first sight, at least) ... so there is still hope

Birdy
                      Well fstab sorted but no difference. As for HAL I have the same version you have on Kubuntu, 0.5.7-ubuntu18.
                      What baffles me is that CDs behave in the same manner as hotplug devices

Sinclair

Comment

As for HAL I have the same version you have on Kubuntu, 0.5.7-ubuntu18.
                        And what about UDEV? Mine is 079-ubuntu34 ... The point I'm driving at: HAL & UDEV are handling all removable devices (i.e. USB sticks as well as DVDs); if it were a "core" Debian system, I would suggest installing HAL & UDEV in a different, probably better version - with (K)Ubuntu I won't dare. All I can think of at the moment is, if you are really courageous or simply in despair, you may reinstall both packages - sometimes this way of "resetting" helps to sort things out ...

Birdy

Comment

As for HAL I have the same version you have on Kubuntu, 0.5.7-ubuntu18.
                          And what about UDEV? Mine is 079-ubuntu34 ... The point I'm driving at: HAL & UDEV are handling all removable devices (i.e. USB sticks as well as DVDs); if it were a "core" Debian system, I would suggest installing HAL & UDEV in a different, probably better version - with (K)Ubuntu I won't dare. All I can think of at the moment is, if you are really courageous or simply in despair, you may reinstall both packages - sometimes this way of "resetting" helps to sort things out ...

Birdy
                          Well we run the same version alright! Well, I honestly think I am gonna give Edgy a shot as it seems to have a few things built-in that is in my system, such as the ATI drivers. So will report back in a couple of days... keep fingers crossed.

and thanks for the effort

Sinclair

Comment

Well, I honestly think I am gonna give Edgy a shot as it seems to have a few things built-in that is in my system, such as the ATI drivers. So will report back in a couple of days... keep fingers crossed.
                            Good luck I'm curious about the results ...

and thanks for the effort
                            You're welcome; I wish I were able to really help you on

Birdy

Comment

Working...
                            X