X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No sound in amaroK or Kaffeine...

Hello, good people!

I'm relatively new to Linux, and decided to use Kubuntu. I'm liking it a lot, and have been successful downloading and installing software, customizing KDE, and getting my printer to work (which was a bear ^_^).

The one major thing I have been having problems with is getting Kaffeine and amaroK to work properly. Kaffeine plays video files with no sound, and doesn't play mp3 files at all, while amaroK doesn't play anything at all. In Kaffeine, there is a slash through the volume icon (which I presume means it's muted), that doesn't go away when I click on it. In amaroK, xine is set as the engine. Xine is the only apparent option in Kaffeine. Has anyone had any success in getting either one of these two programs to work properly?

While we're on the subject, which of these two programs is better (from a casual user perspective)?

Thanks!

Re: No sound in amaroK or Kaffeine...

you are missing the packages to play mp3s and such...
    not sure exactly what packages those are but i used Automatix to get those packages.

Comment

Originally posted by someguyouknow
      you are missing the packages to play mp3s and such...
      not sure exactly what packages those are but i used Automatix to get those packages.
      Ok, thanks someguy, I did all that.  I carefully and successfully installed Automatix and it did detect an update for amaroK.

Unfortunately, amaroK still will not play mp3 files.  Any other suggestions?

**** UPDATE ****

Forgive me for responding too quickly! I rebooted the machine and restarted amaroK. It then prompted me to install the mp3 support. After that, it is now playing wonderfully. Aditionally, Kaffeine is working properly as well.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

i just had to install libxine-extracodecs and everything worked fine. You can find it in the multiverse repositories
        ciao
        luca

Comment

Working...
        X