This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sun Java

Hi all, I have just recently installed Kubuntu having used another Debian based version of Linux. had some difficulties using old favourites like Kino, DVDAuthor and Freemind. An upgrade resolved problems with Kino and DVDAuthor, but took much longer to resolve freemind successfully. It seems that Java does not satisfy all the necessary criteria as open software to be included in the usual Debian (and therefore Ubuntu) repositories. I downloaded the Java 1.5 binary file for Linux from the Sun site and then as ordinary user using "fakeroot make-jpkg javaXXXX.bin' created a debian package which I installed by calling Konsole with kdesu and "dpkg -i javexx.deb". I then had to change the symbolic link for java so that it did not point to gij (as initially installed) but to the newly installed j2re1.5 version. Check this by entering java --version to find out which virtual machine works. I then installed freemind from the deb package I had used originally and everything has run perfectly well. Cheers

Re: Java and Freemind?

Of course, if you had activated the "multiverse" repository, you would have found a sequence of packages called "sun-java5-*", where '*' = "bin", "demo", "doc", "fonts", "jdk", 'jre", and "source". These cannot be installed with Adept because you must agree to the Sun license before installing and Adept iwasn't capable of handling that the last time I checked. So you'll have to use apt-get, Aptitude, Synaptic, or Wajig to install Sun Java. Then again, some of us think that all of them are better package managers than Adept.

The lesson here is that, although (K)Ubuntu is based on Debian, it isn't Debian. Packages that are inconsistent with the Debian Free Software Guidelines ARE available in Kubuntu if you just activate the multiverse repositories.

Comment

Working...
    X