X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After upgrade to 3.5.5 USB pen drive won't mount

The title says it all.

When I plug in the USB drive and say to show in a new window, nothing happens on screen.

In Konqueror I go to media and try to mount it with a right click on the icon and there is an error message is in a window titled 'Error - kio_media_mc' and the message is 'An unknown error occured'

Any help will be appreciated.

Re: After upgrade to 3.5.5 USB pen drive won't mount

I have the exact same problem, and it's driving me nuts! I did a fresh install earlier tonight and updated it fully to 3.5.5. I'm able to mount it manually (only as root) if I create the usbdisk folder in /media, but that's annoying. I want the automatic mount in konqueror to work again. =/ It worked on my previous install (also updated to 3.5.5).

EDIT: Hmm. That's interesting.... pmount and pmount-hal works without a hitch as a normal user. Why the heck doesn't it work in konqueror via kio??

Yes, I'm a member of the plugdev group. I've also tried to reinstall the hal/udev packages with no luck.

Comment

I'd like to add my vote to this topic ... I have the same problem with my USB pen drive as well as the memory card readers ... It worked fine prior to the upgrade to KDE 3.5.5. That's the only thing that's changed on my system ...

Comment

did you upgrade your kde via kubuntu repository?

I've read many posts about the new kernel that kubuntu replaced (security update) killing wifi links. Maybe this is another side effect of that? Anyway, users found that if they ran the older kernel (from grub at boot time), wifi again worked as expected.

shrug

Wishing you well.
        --<br />wishing you well

Comment

I upgraded via this repository:

deb http://kubuntu.org/packages/kde-355 dapper main

and I'm running this kernel: 2.6.15-27-k7

To which kernel are you referring?

Comment

that would be the kernel I am refering. I am running 2.6.15-26-686 smb here, but the new kernel works fine on this laptop as far as I can tell.

--<br />wishing you well

Comment

OK, I booted into 2.6.15-26-k7 but my pen drive still doesn't work. Same behavior as described above ... Now what

EDIT: While searching over at https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu for bugs on this subject, I discovered that the drive can manually be mounted like this:
              Code:
              pmount -d /dev/sde1
              Not ideal but at least I can get to it now. So the automounting of USB pen drives and memory card reader slots is broken after the KDE 3.5.5 upgrade ... or so it would seem which was the only change on my system prior to this failure.

Comment

I have the same problem, here, I did a fresh installation of Kubuntu dapper, and just after the installation upgraded to KDE 3.5.5, so I don't know if before the upgrade the USB devices worked fine, but now I have exactly the same problem of jmarxer.

Does anybody know the fix for this? Or is it posible to return to KDE 3.5.4?

Thank you

Comment

Did you guys by chance use Automatix as I did? I was able to fix my issue by:

1. Doing a fresh install.
                  2. Applying updates (from the default repos)
                  3. Upgrading in order (KDE 3.5.3, 3.5.4, 3.5.5).. no idea if that helped.
                  4. Applying all other updates (backports, etc.)
                  5. Installing everything myself and not using Automatix.

Comment

I didn't use Automatix, so I don't think the problem has nothing related with it.

I have submited the Bug here: https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu...kde/+bug/66307

Comment

I will add my voice with this bug. I have also submitted comments on the bug report on launchpad.

I only use the kubuntu /ubuntu repositories and the upgrade went fine.

Just to mention that the same thing happens with my external hd like with the USB card reader.

The Canon camera is automounted ok so this is my only way to download pictures from it. Before I was using a USB card reader (lexar) as it transfers faster than directly from the camera. Now the card reader appears in media:/ but when clicking on it I get the same "unknown error" as described above.
                      the pmount command works here as well mounting the card reader in media/sdb1 (in my case). Thanx for the tip 'footer'!

We do need a fix though for this bug. It is essential.

Comment

Problem solved. See this link:
                        http://tsdgeos.blogspot.com/2006/10/...d-usb-not.html

Comment

The solution at the KDE Bug tracking system: http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=135586

Comment

Sorry did not work on my side. I had actually done an upgrade to 354 and then 355 so I already had the latest libhal 0.5.7-1-ubuntu18.1

Situation is the same.

Comment

Hi gang,

I've been out of town this week ... Just got home last night and did an update/upgrade this morning .... What do you know? One of the packages updated was: Setting up libhal-storage1 (0.5.7-1ubuntu18.1) ... and this seemed to do the trick. Both my USB memory stick and memory cards work now ... So it worked for me. Unfortunately, I can't remember if I was at KDE 3.5.3 or 3.5.4 before going to 3.5.5 so I can't answer that question ... But it appears to not be related anyway?

Thanks to WHOMEVER at K/Ubuntu for fixing this!

Comment

Working...
                              X