X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox crashes when trying to make a download

Hello,
    I'm having trouble with the firefox web browser. Whenever it tries to make a download the program just crashes and disappears. It doesn't even make it to the "Save or Open" screen. I've tried removing it and installing the most up to date version but still no luck. Anyone ever experience this?

Thanks
    Steve

Re: Firefox crashes when trying to make a download

bump

Comment

Don't know if this will be any use to you, but I once had the same problem.

Some themes cause problems with the operation of Firefox, so that a dodgey theme can cause issues like the one you are describing. Another thing which caused the same difficulty for me was having KDE apply my KDE appearance settings to non-KDE applications. This option seems to have been taken out in more recent KDEs, but if you have something like it checked, try un-checking it.

Other than disabling various extensions to see if they're the problem, I'm afraid I don't know what else might be causing it, but I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject.

best of luck with it.

Comment

I came across your post while trying to resolve the same issue with Firefox on my machine. Don't know if you ever resolved the problem but here's how I was able to resolve it. I'll try to provide some details of how the problem happened, so if you just want the fix, skip to the end.

I have several shared directories mounted. At some point I downloaded a file directly to one of those shares. This caused Firefox to remember that directory (the 'Ask me where to save every file' option under Edit|Preferences|Downloads). Sometime after I changed the mount point, and the location Firefox remembered, no longer existed.

From then on, everytime I tried to download something Firefox died.

Although I didn't test it, I think this would also occur if you have selected 'Save all files to this folder' under Edit|Preferences|Downloads and specified a non-existent location.

I also didn't test to verify if this is something specific to mounted directories, or just any non-existent directory.

The Solution One:
        • Set the 'Save all files to this folder' value to a location that exists.
        • Restart Firefox

The Solution Two:
        • Type about:config in the browsers url
        • press enter
        • scroll down until you find browser.download.lastDir
        • double-click it and set the path to a directory that exists such as /home/userid/Desktop
        • Restart Firefox

Side note: you may also want to change the browser.download.dir so that it also points to a directory that exists.

Hopefully that takes care of the problem.

Comment

Working...
        X