X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Flash player

Hi,

Please forgive me if this is a daft question -- I'm a complete newbie to Linux (though pretty familiar with PC hardware and Windows).

I'm trying to install the Adobe flash player as a plug-in to Konqueror.  As instructed on the Adobe web site, I have downloaded and decompressed the installation file, navigated to the relevant directory and typed the command into a terminal window ("./flashplayer-installer").  However, after pressing ENTER a couple of times as instructed, I get the error message:

ERROR: Your home directory does not have a Mozilla, Netscape, or Opera
           browser user directory. Run one of these browsers at least once.

Needless to say, I have run Konqueror many times.  Do I need to get a different flash player... or a different browser?  Or can I just create the required directory by hand?

Grateful for any help you can provide.

Nick

Re: Installing Flash player

I think you need "sudo ./flashplayer-installer" instead of just "./flashplayer-installer"

Comment

Ah, I see - thank you!

This gets me a little further.  However, I'm now being asked:

Please enter the installation path of the Mozilla, Netscape,
      or Opera browser (i.e., /usr/lib/mozilla):

How do I find this out?  I've tried a few obvious paths (the executable file itself is in /usr/lib but this just results in "WARNING: Please enter a valid installation path").

Thanks

Nick

Comment

I'm not positive about this, but it may work.
        I installed flash player for mozilla-firefox and from that point on the plugin worked in every browser I have installed, including konqueror and opera.
        So it might be worth a try to just install mozilla-firefox (sudo apt-get install mozilla-firefox) and then install the flash plugin using firefox as the destination (/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox)
        Goodluck, hope that helps

Comment

Working...
        X