This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kopete and Toucam

I have a problem getting my Philips Toucam working in Kopete (and aMSN although I don't normally use this).
    When I go to the devices section of the configuration, the cpu is at 100% and after some time I get to see the tab, but no video. There's just a QT logo where the video should be, though the options show the webcam. The machine continues using 100% and I can't get to change the settings in the tab.
    When I open Kopete from the console, it shows:

$ kopete
    X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 168
    Major opcode: 145
    Minor opcode: 3
    Resource id: 0x0
    Failed to open device
    X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 168
    Major opcode: 145
    Minor opcode: 3
    Resource id: 0x0
    Failed to open device
    $ ScimInputContextPlugin()
    QPixmap::convertFromImage: Cannot convert a null image
    libkopete: WARNING: Kopete::ContactList::saveXML: Couldn't open contact list file /home/klarsen/.kde/share/apps/kopete/contactlist.xml. Contact list not saved.

The webcam works fine in both Xawtv and gqcam.

Please, can anyone help me with this?

Re: Kopete and Toucam

I know nothing about either kopete or webcams, but I can tell you how to eliminate all those X error BadDevice lines. Start a konsole. Enter the command "sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf". enter your pass word when requested. A console editor called nano will start up. To navigate, you have to use the arrow keys on your keyboard because nano is too simple to use a mouse. Arrow down the stanzas that say
    Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
      Driver    "wacom"
    There will be three of them. #comment out EVERY line in each of the three stanzas from the Section line to the EndSection line. Then go to the stanza called "Server Layout" and #comment out the three lines referring to "stylus", "cursor", and "eraser". At least, that will get rid of those annoying excess error messages.

As to your real problem: Without knowing how to read or write, as a former boss of mine uesd to say (until he won a Nobel Prize), I would look for the file /home/klarsen/.kde/share/apps/kopete/contactlist.xml. (it will be easier to find if you set Konqueror to show hidden files and directories.) If the file doesn't exist I would create an empty file called contactlist.xml in that directory with konsole commands
    Code:
    cd ~/.kde/share/apps/kopete/
    touch contactlist.xml
    Now, a file exists that the kopete program can fill up. I'm surprised that file was not created either when you installed kopete or the first time you tried to use it.

Comment

Re: Kopete and Toucam

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your reply which I actually haven't noticed until now - my bad.
      In the meantime I've changed from Kubuntu to Gentoo but will try and get Kopete working here too.

Regards,
      Kenneth

Comment

Working...
      X