This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kopete or GAIM?

Im currently useing GAIM in Kubuntu becouse i read Kopete is full of bugs and has horrible AIM support.Is it realy that bad or should i switch to Kopete becouse it look way better in KDE?

Re: Kopete or GAIM?

I am using Kopete now and it works fine for me...
    i use it for MSN and AIM and both work equally well.
    oh and a new version comes out next week too.
    should have some bug fixes in it.

Comment

I am using Kopete since 1st June (when Dapper whose released) and it works without problems
      http://www.NonSoloGuide.altervista.org

Comment

I have to say that Kopete has a very nice GUI and works well with all protocols, but the choice is your. I have used both and use Kopete only because it came packaged with dapper

Comment

Earlier versions of Kopete *were* a little buggy, but that was some time ago. Kopete has been very stable for me for almost a year.

Comment

I'm using Kopete with GTalk, MSN and ICQ and it's working very well. I prefer it to GAIM. GAIM has better plugins for message criptography, though.

Comment

I use GAIM since I can run it in windows as well. I found Kopete's features a bit lacking. Maybe because I was used to GAIM. Also, there are quite a few add-ons/plug-ins for game (like whats playing, etc.). I don't think the same can be said for Kopete. As for bugs, I don't know, but I have been on the kde-forum site quite a lot lately and it seems that more than 50% of the posts relate to Kopete. I generally use the KDE default app for everything, but I have installed Firefox, OpenOffice, Amarok and GAIM. For ripping, I use Grip. For those applications, I found a third-party app to be significantly better than the KDE default. YMMV. If you try Kopete and are happy, I would use it. If not, I would try GAIM. I doubt you will need to look any further.

Comment

Actually Kopete supports the What's Playing feature you mention (Settings -> Configure Plugins -> Now playing). It supports many media players including Amarok and Kaffeine

Comment

I am not trying to run down Kopete. I agree with the other posters that if it works for you and meets your needs, that is what I would recommend you use. If you find that it doesn't meet your needs, I would suggest that the next IM application you try would be GAIM. I'm out.

Comment

Originally posted by lingenfr
                    I am not trying to run down Kopete. I agree with the other posters that if it works for you and meets your needs, that is what I would recommend you use. If you find that it doesn't meet your needs, I would suggest that the next IM application you try would be GAIM. I'm out.
                    He's right. If you want an opinion though:

1. Kopete just works.
                    2. Very customizable.
                    3. I have webcam!

Comment

My choice is gaim.
                      I often surf for chat rooms and I find gaim handy for this.

Comment

Hi

I have been using Kopete for sometime now I have no issues or problems. I use 2 IMs - Yahoo, ICQ, 5 IRC , that run 24/7. It just works. I know others that has used Gaim and xchat nothing but issues I switched them over to Kopete. They are much happier that they made the switch.
                        Registered Linux User #418555<br />Kubuntu User #9254<br /><br />aptosid 2010-01 Xfce / aptosid 2010-01 KDE-Lite<br />Debian Wheezy Xfce / Kubuntu 10.04<br />aptosid 2011-01 Xfce / aptosid 2011-01 KDE-Lite<br />Debian Testing Gnome<br />Debian Sid Gnome<br />Epidemic 3.2<br />ALL pulseaudio free by default

Comment

I used Gaim in Ubuntu because it came with it.
                          I use Kopete in Kubuntu because it came with it.

They both do the same thing and they are both working no problems here.

I hope that helps

Comment

Working...
                          X