This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MP3 playback doesn't work after latest libxine security update

Hi people. After updating libxine from libxine-main1 1.1.1+ubuntu2-7.2 to libxine-main1 1.1.1+ubuntu2-7.3, wich happened a couple days ago, i couldn't play any of my mp3 in any xine-engined player (amarok, kaffeine). Haven't tested with free codecs like ogg because... well, i have nothing coded with it :P . Amarok showed a popup saying that no suitable demux plugin could be found. After some hairpulling i've been able to determine the origin of the problem on that libxine upgrade, as having reverted to libxine-main1 1.1.1+ubuntu2-7.2 i can enjoy my music again.

- Has anybody else experienced this, os should i look for posible wrong interactions with other packages?
    - This is an amd64 machine, can it be that this release of libxine needs another one from xine-extracodecs that still hasn't been built for 64 bits?
    - Is this worth filing a bug on launchpad, or is there a better way to report this if it really is a bug and not something i should investigate further on my end?

I've searched the forums, but couldn't find anything related. I guess something so visible as breaking mp3 should have been noticed by many people before but, as reverting to the previous package fixes the breakage, i'm not sure is because of my machine. Any help or direction you could provide for me will be greatly apreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Re: MP3 playback doesn't work after latest libxine security update

I haven't tested the reverting of libxine, but I do have a similar problem. amaroK won't play mp3 files anymore (though I don't get any errors). Whatever I do, I can not play mp3's. Oggs are fine. Since most of my music collection has been digitized as Ogg, I don't have a really big problem, but still it's annoying not to be able to listen to the mp3's in my collection.

I am, by the way, also on 64 bit.

Comment

Re: MP3 playback doesn't work after latest libxine security update

OK, I got this to work now!

libxine-extracodecs is simple needed. This is in the multiverse repository. After installing libxine-extracodecs from multiverse, I can now again play mp3's without a problem.

Thanks to jende on #kubuntu

Comment

Working...
      X