This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Backup Tool for Kubuntu

I need to backup important files/folders and my Thunderbird mailbox on a regular basis and would like to know how best to do this.

I have had a quick look at 'Keep' but I do not think it will backup my mails.

Re: Best Backup Tool for Kubuntu

Saltireboy,

from my experience, the tools provided with "core" Linux are adequate to needs similar to those you describe ... hopefully my notes to this topic will help you on.

Birdy

--

Postscript: reference updated

Comment

Hi,

I tried the link but it times out.

Comment

sbackup is a nice backup program, a little more advanced than Keep without being cumbersome and unwieldy. you can specify the frequency of backups and the time, as well as better file exclusion options. I use it myself, I have it set to run every morning at 3 AM and it is set to do a full backup every 3 days, with incremental backups other days.

I have not had to use it to recover or restore yet, though. Lucky I guess

Comment

Originally posted by saltireboy
          I tried the link but it times out.
          Sorry for that supposedly the ISP has wrecked the whole system yesterday evening / for several hours.

Bernd

Comment

OK I think I am almost there... What do I need to back-up in order archive my mails in Thunderbird?

Comment

Tbird mails are stored in your home dier in a folder named .mozilla-thunderbird. The "." signifies a hidden folder. To view it in konqueror, you need to enable it in Konq's view menu.

Also, your .kde directory houses all your desktop settings, etc. and your .mozilla folder is for firefox settings, extensions, etc.. I basically backup my whole home directory so I don't miss anything

Comment

If you have a server set up on your network, I'd highly recommend BackupPC, which can automatically back up multiple PCs over a network (including Windows boxes, too). It has a nice web interface for on-demand backups and for getting access to the backed-up files. It also deals very well with client machines that are not always turned on. (Basically, the server will just keep trying to establish contact every so often.) Very flexible, but pretty easy to set up. It'll e-mail you if something goes wrong, too, which is nice.

Comment

Working...
                X