This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Playback

Up to a few days ago I was able to play DVDs using Kaffeine no problem. I know find that I cannot due to libdvdcss having disappeared. I am unable to locate it using adept or sudo apt-get. Has one of the recent updates from Kubuntu been responsible. A friend is having the same problem. He could and now he can't
    bobmac

Re: DVD Playback

At here:
    Code:
    apt-cache show libdvdcss2
    tells:

Package: libdvdcss2
    Priority: optional
    Section: libs
    Installed-Size: 264
    Maintainer: Philippe Mironov (Ubuntu plf) <mir@freecontrib.org>
    Architecture: i386
    Version: 1.2.9-1plf3
    Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.4-1)
    Conflicts: libdvdcss0.0.1, libdvdcss0.0.2
    Description: portable abstraction library for DVD decryption
    The libdvdcss library provides a portable abstraction for DVD decryption,
    with a simple API to access a DVD device as a block device.
    This package contains the libdvdcss2 runtime library.
    I did get it from here:
    libdvdcss2 and w32codecs for Ubuntu
    http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2005/12/...cs-for-ubuntu/

Note
    Replace breezy with dapper or edgy-plf (page is a bit old ).
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by bobmac
      Up to a few days ago I was able to play DVDs using Kaffeine no problem. I know find that I cannot due to libdvdcss having disappeared. I am unable to locate it using adept or sudo apt-get. Has one of the recent updates from Kubuntu been responsible. A friend is having the same problem. He could and now he can't
      bobmac

Does Kaffeine produce an error message when you try and play a DVD that starts "The source seems encrypted, and can't be read. " by any chance?

I ask because I used be able to play DVDs in Kaffeine then when I tried last night it wouldn't work, producng that error message. The solution was to set the region code on my DVD drive to match the region of the DVD and then deleting the directory ~/.dvdcss. Now I have no idea why that was the solution, but it worked so maybe worth you trying it if you're getting the error I mentioned. Install the regisonset package from the Universe repo, then with the DVD you want to watch in the drive run

Code:
      $ regionset
      and follow the instructions. You may also want to read /usr/share/doc/regionset/README

Comment

Thanks folk. I resolved the issue by downloading vlc player and pinching the lidvdcss from there.
        bobmac

Comment

Originally posted by arizonagroovejet

Does Kaffeine produce an error message when you try and play a DVD that starts "The source seems encrypted, and can't be read. " by any chance?

I ask because I used be able to play DVDs in Kaffeine then when I tried last night it wouldn't work, producng that error message. The solution was to set the region code on my DVD drive to match the region of the DVD and then deleting the directory ~/.dvdcss. Now I have no idea why that was the solution, but it worked so maybe worth you trying it if you're getting the error I mentioned. Install the regisonset package from the Universe repo, then with the DVD you want to watch in the drive run

Code:
          $ regionset
          and follow the instructions. You may also want to read /usr/share/doc/regionset/README
          I've been trying to get DVD's to play on my new laptop (HP dv5000) for weeks now. I deleted the .dvdcss directory and then installed and ran regionset. Apparently, the region was set incorrectly. DVD's now play fine. Thanks for the info!

Comment

Working...
          X