This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help Reading DVD-ROM

First off, I'm about a 3 day noob so please use small words. I am trying to install some programs from the kubuntu DVD and whenever I try it tells me to put in the cd, but the CD is already in there. Funny thing is, it was working fine and I installed some games and whatnot and now for some reason it doesn't see the DVD. When I go to the 'disk and filesystems' app It doesn't show the drive as enabled but it also won't let me enable it.

I realize this is sketchy so if you need me to post specific error messages let me know. I was just hoping that I was doing something dumb that could be fixed easy. Thanks in advance.

Re: Need Help Reading DVD-ROM

Sorry for the delayed response. It could be that your problem can be solved by pressing the button to open and then close the drive, so that it thinks that a new DVD has been inserted.

If that trivial fix doesn't work, I suspect (although I may be totally off base) that your problem has to do with making the system recognizie that a particular drive can read both CDROMs and DVDs. In Konqueror, navigate to the "/dev" directory. Find the entries for /dev/cdrom and /dev/DVD. Does one of them have a link to the other (in the last column of the Konqueror "detailed list" view)?

Comment

Working...
    X