This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Freezing

After 20min or so of using kde or kde apps in gnome my PC slows then freezes. It only started happening in the last few days. Gnome runs fine, but I miss KDE...

I do have the following repository, so perhaps some new packages are causing the problems...

deb http://kubuntu.org/packages/kde-latest dapper main

Re: Kubuntu Freezing

If you have updated recently, you are now using KDE 3.5.5. So am I, but my computer isn't freezing. On the other hand you might be using 3.5.4, but so do many of the people on this site and their computers freeze for a variety of reasons, when they freeze. You can find out whcih one you are using by clicking on Help and then "about KDE" in any KDE app.

From your description of the way the problem starts, it seems like a "memory leak". This happens when a program allocates some memory and then fails to free it when it finishes. The most notorious memory leaker in recent Linux history was Firefox, but that bug was discovered a while ago. If you're comfortable at the console, run the command "top", and see who's using lots of memory.

In your case, I would suspect that the phrase "using kde or kde apps in gnome" may have something to do with the problem. Are you using GDM as your display manager?

Comment

I don't think it is a memory leak -- as it occurs after only about 20min of use, also others would prob be reporting the problem. I'm at a bit of a loss, think I may go back to 3.4...

Comment

I seem to recall that there were problems in the 3.4 series, but I can't recall what they were. Personally, I've had no difficulty with 3.5

Believe me, 20 minutes is more than ample for some memory leaks to drive your system to it's knees. It could also be some runaway process hogging CPU cycles. Again, I urge you to try "top". Depending on the size of your RAM and speed of your processor, you should be making minimal use of your resources under normal circumstances. Just start top and see whether anything stands out as big resource hog. On my system, the top 5 or 6 processes at any given time are top itself, konsole, kicker, xorg, init (which runs everything), migration, and ksoftirqd, but your mileage will vary.

Comment

Will give it a look - thanks!

Comment

I think the latest amarok was sucking up ram. also think there was another culprit -- perhaps a lib that got loaded at startup from a prev session... (killed a load to stop the desktop from going under)...

Comment

Working...
            X