This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you install it?

OK I am a COMPLETE Linux virgin and have downloaded a number of programs such as Firefox and flash player.
    Once you open the ark file what do you do next.
    I've tried googleing it but it comes up with loads of jargon I cant understand?

You can be as patronising as you like I need it

Cheers
    Don

Re: How do you install it?

It is much easier installing using adept or synaptic or apt-get
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware
    Those are instructions...

Comment

best thing to use for flash and other things is automatix. getautomatix.com click the kubuntu link and follow instructions. It is really easy.
      I tried Enlightenment once, it was pretty cool.

Comment

I would suggest trying out EasyUbuntu @ http://easyubuntu.freecontrib.org/

It will install all the important stuff like Win32codecs, Flash, Java etc.

Comment

Hi
          I've tried to install easyubuntu, but it says I require superuser priviledge. I've looked in system settings but can't find the way of fixing it.

HELP!!!

Cheers
          Don

Comment

you gotta use sudo

Comment

If you decide to use Automatix, here is the link that I used. Pretty easy just cut and paste each step in konsole for whichever version you are using.

http://www.getautomatix.com/wiki/ind...tion&Itemid=38

Comment

if you are a complete newbie user, then adding new programs is pretty easy. When you ran the install cd, you added your user name and user password. That password also gives you administrative permission to add and remove programs from your computer.

If you click on the K start menu on your taskbar, then System, Then select Adept (package manager). They system will ask for your password, then you can see all the software that you can add and remove.

Save these instructions somewhere

Now other users have added info about automatix and easyubuntu. I have used both of them and find them very handy. easyubuntu is probably the easiest and fastest. With it, you need to just open a Konsole (press and hold ALT then push F2, then type in konsole and press Enter key, or use the K Start, System, then select Konsole. That opens the konsole (looks like a DOS window) shell where you can manually run commands.

Now just go to the easyubuntu web site, go to downloads, and type those commands in that konsole you opened word for word. They did a great job of making it very easy for new users to make this work.

I've actually downloaded his code and saved it so I don't have to download the program each time I do a new install.

I hope this helps you.

Good luck and enjoy your new linux system!

Wishing you well.
                --<br />wishing you well

Comment

Working...
                X