This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Package upgrading: cream & vim

Is there a simple set of steps for this?

I've been trying to get my head around this, but I can't find any examples: Running AMD64, I noticed that the cream/vim-gnome combination has not yet been backported for Vim 7.0 on my architecture. I'm willing to build from source, and would expect there's a way to do this with apt-get or dpkg. However, I'm afraid this bites off more than I can chew on my own. This would mean building several DEBs at once:
    • vim
    • vim-common
    • vim-gnome
    • vim-gui-common
    • vim-runtime

I suspect all this vim stuff comes from a single tarball. Cream I can handle manually for the upgrade, simply by removing the package and installing the new version from the project. If I did something like:
    apt-get build-dep vim vim-common vim-gnome vim-gui-common vim-runtime
    apt-get -b source vim vim-common vim-gnome vim-gui-common vim-runtime
    Would that work? Would it give me the update version I seek?

Re: Package upgrading: cream & vim

Originally posted by ehurst
    Would it give me the update version I seek?
    No, the same version as in the repos (as that's where it'll be getting the source files). You'd wanna do the build-dep command & then download vim's source from their website & then build it (instructions should be included).

Comment

I'll do that. However, for future reference, just one more fine point: All the other architectures do have 7.0 in that same repo, and the 7.0 source is there in the repo. It just hasn't been built for AMD64. Same result?

Comment

Originally posted by ehurst
        I'll do that. However, for future reference, just one more fine point: All the other architectures do have 7.0 in that same repo, and the 7.0 source is there in the repo. It just hasn't been built for AMD64. Same result?
        I guess you'd get the newest source files then (7.0), but if they'd not need compiled for amd64 there would likely be a reason/conflict.

Having said that, the ubuntu repos has the same version for all architectures as dose the debian repo....?

Comment

This was a reference to the Backports stuff http://backports.org/debian/pool/main/v/vim/. I've done the deed and offered the results to the Backport folks. I have no idea why they didn't do it for AMD64, but I really do feel a need for Vim 7.0.

Comment

Working...
          X