X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

File Group Ownership Problems

I am running Dapper 6.06

When I copy a file from one directory (/home/ray/RayTest/) to another directory (/home/11a/homework/) the group ownership of the file changes unfortunately. While in the ~/RayTest directory, the group ownership was "students". After copying the file to the ~/homework directory, the ownership becomes "root". How can I stop this from happening?

The group ownership of the ~/RayTest directory is "students" and the group ownership of the ~/homework directory is "root".

Basically I want to set up a directory in my account that I can copy homework assignments from to various students in the same computer and also to other computers on the same network. I want only the intended student and myself to be able to see the assignments and also to see the directory that they move the completed assignment into. Can someone point me to some good reading on this topic please?
    Thanks,

Ray

Re: File Group Ownership Problems

Hi,

man cp is giving you that the option -p is preserving rights on a file. I think it should help

Cheers

Comment

Thanks, shounds like it is just what I need. I will give it a try and also start using the man command.

Ray

Comment

You're welcome, just for info, if you want to use man in a graphical way, in konqueror address bar, just type for example :
        man:/cp

And you get it
        Cheers

Comment

OK Thanks,

Ray

Comment

Working...
          X