X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

adduser for kubuntu

Hi gang:

I've been digging around for some help with adduser on my kubuntu systems (now 6 systems).

I run the command, a user is added and home directory created, but no user permissions are added (like sound, cdrom etc) and it bugs me. I'm doing this with sudo adduser newusername.

Libranet made this function very easy--I miss that. I don't know how they did it, but I would love a script that would make it easy to add some defualt permissions and add user to various groups.

Has anyone got such a script that they would be willing to share?

Thanks. I'm looking forward to reading some feedback on this isssue.

Wishing you will.

Jaye, ke6sls
    --<br />wishing you well

Re: adduser for kubuntu

Hi a_hippie

I hope I can help you a little.  I am new to Kubuntu (about 4 months) I am not up to speed on a lot.

First you need to open "System Settings"  then select 'Users and Groups' under the 'System Administation'.  Select  the 'Administator Mode', then you can add a new user account.   You then need to go to the Groups tab and Add the 'Available Accounts' that you need for the new user to access for their account.  The ones you select are the accounts that they will be able to use.  If you do not select all that they need you will have add them later.
    I am not sure of the accounts and what they are used for at this time.  There must be a list how to setup an account for a power user or a standard users that has just a few accounts, so them can only use the system and not add or remove any apts.

You might also check out  the documents for Kubuntu at the following link
    http://doc.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/desktopguide/C/index.html
    It is the chapter for Linux Basics - directories and file system, Permissions, Root and Sudo, Termial, Test Editing, and Users and Groups.

I hope this helps
    Good Luck

Comment

Hi again
      checking around on a Google seach and I find several sites that can help out.
      I entered "Linux users accounts"
      http://doc.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/desktopguide/C/index.html
      http://www.kubuntu.org/docs/kquickgu...ct-useraccount

I need to do a lot more reading and playing around so that I can understand Linux better.
      I think it is about time I buy a good book on Linux.
      I hope somebody can give a title of a good one.

Good Luck

Comment

Greetings lyall

yeah, I am up to par on basic linux commands etc. My post may not have been well worded. I can adduser and then update permissions/privs later. What I was looking for is a better way of setting day to day accounts. I will have two machines that I loan out, I want to quickly add each new user to the system without having to go through all the steps I currently do.

Thank you!

Wishing you well.
        --<br />wishing you well

Comment

Working...
        X