This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to upgrade kernel using Adept

What are the specific steps for using Adept in Dapper to upgrade my kernel from 2.6.15-21-386 to 2.6.15-23-386.

I cannot let the automatic upgrade feature upgrade my kernel to 2.6.15-25-386 because the -25 kernel left out the MAD wifi drivers and my wireless will not work in my Acer Aspire 3620 laptop after such an upgrade ( I have already made that mistake and recovered from it using GRUB to select the -23 kernel)
    I have re-installed Dapper using the 6.06 Beta Live CD.

I need the 2.6.15-23 kernel because I bought a license for the Linuxant modem driver and it is based on the -23 kernel which I had running perfectly until my system became unstable

I have googled, searched read forums and documentation over the past two days and cannot find an answer, thus I am starting this post.

Thanks for reading this message and for your helpful replies.

Re: How to upgrade kernel using Adept

Just install the linux-image-2.6.15-23-386 package, and it should add itself to your GRUB menu.

About the "automatic upgrade" - if you have the linux-image-286 package installed, Adept will always download and install the latest kernel image (right now, that's 2.6.15-27), putting it first in your boot menu. If you're not bothered about getting kernel updates, remove this package - it shouldn't actually remove anything, it's what's called a "metapackage".

Comment

Working...
    X