Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What the heck is libscim and why does it hate me?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What the heck is libscim and why does it hate me?

OK, maybe it doesn't actually have feelings toward me either way, but its giving me grief.

I'm running Parallels Workstation 2.2RC under Kubuntu 6.06. I can only succesfully run it if I am root (or run it via sudo). As a regular user, when I try to run it, it blows up with a SIGSEGV.

I seem to have isolated it to libscim. It is in the backtrace. On two other systems, where I have no problems running PWS as a regular user, this library does not seem to exist. (One of them is Ubuntu Breezy running Gnome, the other is Fedora Core 5 running gnome). Just for grins and giggles, on my Kubuntu system I tried temporarily renaming the libscim library file with a .save extension. When I do that, PWS runs perfectly as a regular user, although standard output sees the occasional complaint about "libscim-1.0.so.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory". Despite the complaints, it doesn't appear to actually cause a problem.

So I thought about permanently removing the library, since it doesn't exist on my other two boxes, but obviously it's probably there for a reason. Turns out that according to apt-get there are lots of things that rely on this library, including "kubuntu-desktop". Hmm. That sounds important.

Any ideas what might be going wrong here? I can work around it, but I'd really prefer not to run this application as root.

Thanks,
    Eric

Re: What the heck is libscim and why does it hate me?

Smart Common Input Method libraries

scim is the core package of the SCIM project, which provides the fundamental routines and data types and also a development platform to make input method development easier.
    A gtk+-2 based Panel (User Interface) and setup dialog are also shipped within this package.

Seems to be a part of your KDE - Desktop Envirement!

http://www.scim-im.org/

Thats all I found, don't know if it helped you much.

Comment

Working...
    X