X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dpkg trouble freezing etc...

Ok, here we go.

I just installed Kubuntu 6.06 LTS on my 933Mhz Compaq Presario 5003US with 256Mb of RAM and a 60Gig Hard drive. I downloaded Automatix and installed it successfully. I'm fairly competent with Linux. My problem is this. Whilst downloading a bunch of stuff from automatix, my screen froze on a line that read "updating libfont cache". So I restarted, tried it again. This time, before I downloaded anything, the script that calls automatix says that "failed to open device"(see below - second edit) and that I should run "dpkg --configure -a". So I try that. Unfortunately, it freezes. So I reboot in Rescue/Recovery mode and do an "apt-get upgrade"   (which I saw solved someones similar problem on the forum) . It froze. When I restarted in recovery mode, I just did "dpkg --config -a" without trying anything else. It froze when it was loading the locale "SG", wherever that is. So I restarted again, "dpkg --configure -a" again, it executed successfully. I restarted into the KDE desktop, loaded Automatix, downloaded everything I tried beforehand, and it went past "updating libfont cache". Everything was fine, except that Automatix froze at "regenerating fonts cache". I am at my wits end with this thing. I've tried everything I could think of. Does anyone have any idea what the problem is?

-Matthew

EDIT: Just wanted to clarify that the error message is the following:
    "E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem. "

EDIT: X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 166
    Major opcode: 144
    Minor opcode: 3
    Resource id: 0x0
    Failed to open device
    X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 166
    Major opcode: 144
    Minor opcode: 3
    Resource id: 0x0
    Failed to open device

Re: dpkg trouble freezing etc...

HAve a look at your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. Comment out the section for Wacom device (or delete).
    Section "InputDevice"
    Driver "wacom"
    Identifier "stylus"
    Option "Device" "/dev/wacom" # Change to
    # /dev/input/event
    # for USB
    Option "Type" "stylus"
    Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4" # Tablet PC ONLY
    EndSection
    Do the same for

InputDevice "stylus" "SendCoreEvents"
    InputDevice "cursor" "SendCoreEvents"
    InputDevice "eraser" "SendCoreEvents"

restart and you should be fine.
    "The problem with reality is that it leaves a lot to the Imagination" - John Lenon.

Comment

okey doke, I'll try that. Thank you.

-Matthew

Comment

Alright...I tried that...and now, when I reboot...I get a screen that shows the kubuntu logo and name, and a dark blue status bar, but nothing is loading...this is really irritating, since when I go into safe mode, and type "startx" I get an error message stating that no screens were found...blah blah blah. What should I do?

-Matthew

Comment

Do the same for

InputDevice "stylus" "SendCoreEvents"
          InputDevice "cursor" "SendCoreEvents"
          InputDevice "eraser" "SendCoreEvents"

restart and you should be fine.
          I didn't do the above stuff. Thanks for the help, I commented that section out as well and it worked perfectly!

-Matthew

Comment

Working...
          X