This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are Automatic Updates Recommended?

Every now and then, the package manager (Adept) throws an icon in the tray that indicates the availability of updates. So far, I have gone ahead and applied all the updates that have been presented. I haven't been using Linux long enough to know if that's a good idea or not. The only time there was a problem was when the update caused Xserver to fail on reboot.

What I'm asking is this: does the community generally accept all updates as presented? I've always assumed (dangerous, I know) that updates are good things, and that they wouldn't be released without good reason. Is that being naive? Should I ignore the updates until I have a problem to solve?

In other words, am I taking a chance on breaking my system by installing updates that I may not need?

Thanks!
    Greg

Re: Are Automatic Updates Recommended?

it depends on the updates but i would not blindly update major updates...
    i usually look in the forums first to see if anyone has had any problems with that update or not...

Comment

I have wondered about the same thing but am a little bit of a risk taker. I just install any updates that are available and so far haven't had any problems. I have been trusting in installing my updates following the same line of thinking "that updates are good things, and that they wouldn't be released without good reason". So far my faith hasn't let me down.

Comment

I found this out the hard way, first time I had kubuntu installed and applied all updates (including kernal updates) after that my system would hang at the logo screen and since I have no idea what Im doing in the command line my next option was to reformate... right now I have 2 updates waiting, both of them are kernal updates, 1 of which says its a restricted one and the other is made by the ubuntu team I guess, any suggestion on how to go about installing them with out breaking my system again

Comment

Hello pilot4fun...

Whenever there is new version released (CVS change) for the packages you have installed, you would be shown update icon in the system tray. Need not be all the updates are relevant to you. But you can not simply excuse yourself & ignore because it may have Critical Updates..

So the best thing would be, open adept in root mode, view "Manage Repositories" just disable URLs/entries that are not showing "Security"..
          click Apply -> close.. Fetch Updates..

Now you should see package lists updating from URLs that are having Security should only be fetched. The repository will now show only Security Related Packages.. whichever entry that has "Upgrade" please click upgrade.

Finally, Apply Changes. Now the packages downloaded/installed are only Security/Critical Updates which are VERY much essential for your system facing internet.

Please note that, being a novice to kubuntu I have told you how I found a workaround for installing only Critical updates.

Cheers.

Comment

Hello Brigy86,

For your question, though you upgrade from one kernel version to the other, you can see all the kernel images loaded by default in your Boot Loader while booting.

So, if selecting one kernel image (first entry will be the most recent version) screen hangs your sytem, you can reboot the machine & select the lower version images (or previous images) which will work normal.

Best practice is that, if you face any problem using most recent version of kernel, note down the error.. reboot machine..select old image. login & google kubuntu forums with the error.. lol

Comment

@BriGy86

do you have nvidia/ati drivers installed? if so, may sure you have nvidia-glx installed. that may be the problem.

Comment

Working...
              X