This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No connection to internet since bugged xserver

Ever since the bugged xserver-org upgrade that got out a few weeks ago, my Kubuntu install has been unable to find my internet connection. This has persisted even after applying the fixed xserver-org.

I normally connect through a wireless router which is has the DSL modem plugged into it. At first, I thought the computer simply wasn't connecting to my router, but after poking around I find that the wireless connection is good. So for some reason the computer isn't recognizing that the router has an internet connection, when before it did so just fine. My WinXP and Win2000 do just fine.

Any idea what I'm missing to get this working again?

Re: No connection to internet since bugged xserver

Hi,

I think you should try to ping all elements of your network or either traceroute to some ip to check where it's wrong, it can be a lot of things :
    - route
    - dns
    - interfaces config
    - etc...

So start by :
    ifconfig -a (check if you get a good ip)
    route (check if they are fixing to your network)
    ping <router>
    ping <modem>
    cat /etc/resolv.conf (and then check if dns are ok)
    ping www.google.com

Cheers

Comment

Re: No connection to internet since bugged xserver

Sorry for the late responce, been a busy week.

I started to go through the list of commands you listed and the thought struck me to try restarting the router. After I did that and re-established the wlan connection, the computer found the internet connection. Huzzah! Did a full upgrade to my linux, rebooted, grumbled as I realized I needed to re-replace a firmware file for the wlan card that the updated kernel switched back, rebooted again and...

Internet connection is going good straight from boot now. So I'm all set.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
      X