This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble with Kaffine and KMPlayer

Neither Kaffine or KMPlayer can play my MP3s. I just get the message "Xine is not running" at the bottom. When I press play, nothing seems to happen. The same thing happens when I try an AVI as well, however both manage to play MPEG videos but without sound. I haven't tried any of my DVDs yet, but I will. Help would be greatly appreciated, as I love to play my music and watch my DVDs on my computer.

Re: Trouble with Kaffine and KMPlayer

Did you install the w32codecs, livedvdcss, etc from the universe and multiverse repositories? Refer to this link on restricted formats:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...8restricted%29

Comment

Thanks. I used Adept to install the codecs. I can now play my MP3s and AVIs work fine. I will tind an MPEG to test.

Comment

MPEGS off of the internet work fine, but I cannot play DVDs. I have installed all od the suggested codecs. What else should I install?

Comment

Have you installed...

libdvdcss
          libdvdnow
          libdvdplay
          libdvdread
          libdvdnav

Most of these will end in a number, for example libdvdcss2.

If it still doesn't work, confirm that it isn't a DVD region problem. If it is, VLC can play DVDs from any region.
          Lastely, confirm the DVD drive works.

Josh

Comment

Thanks, that did the trick. One more question, I have a widescreen computer (WXGA, 1280 x 800) but when I watch a widecreen DVD (16:9), it doesn't take up the whole screen. It could be streched out more. The screen is at the right resolution. Take a look at the picture to get a better idea of what I mean.
            Attached Files

Comment

OK, I got that straightened out, but now I'm only getting audio on the left channel? Whats going on

Comment

OK, now I got that fixed (wow, a lot of problems), but my DVDs are skipping, as if my CPU is bogged down. But its not, its not even being under that much stress when I play my DVDs accoring to a graph. I even turned the MPEG decoding quality down to the lowest setting, but that did not seem to change anything. I know my DVD player has a hardware DVD decoder, but maybe Kubuntu doesn't have the drivers to use it?

Comment

Do you have your graphics card drivers installed too?
                  Have you ever tried changing the video driver from the wine's parameter configuration menu? and set one like: opengl?
                  But I think that it is vital for your pc's performance to have graphics accelaration enabled!

Comment

Originally posted by linuxangel
                    Do you have your graphics card drivers installed too?
                    Have you ever tried changing the video driver from the wine's parameter configuration menu? and set one like: opengl?
                    But I think that it is vital for your pc's performance to have graphics accelaration enabled!
                    I think you are right, because google earth in linux seems slow also.

I reconfiggured the Xserver to get the correct resolution, but I didn't install a driver. Where would I find one and how would I install it?

These two pages should help, but I'm not sure what to do. perhaps it will make sense to you. Thanks for your time.
                    http://www.xfree86.org/4.4.0/sis.4.html
                    http://www.winischhofer.eu/linuxsispart1.shtml#22

Comment

OK, I found the driver. Here it is:
                      http://www.winischhofer.eu/linuxsispart4.shtml#download
                      For the X86 Kubuntu, get the "X.org 6.9.0 (gcc 4.x; should work for 7.0 as well)" driver. Download the .tar.gz file to the home folder. Extract the "sis_drv.so" file to the home folder. Then copy it to the following folder:
                      /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers
                      If it does not exist, use the following folder:
                      /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/
                      Once there, you will see many .so files, including one with the samje name as what you are copying. Replace the one there with the one you are copying. If necessary, use the Konsole with the "sudo" command to bypass the fact that the folder is owned by root. Once the file is successfuly there, reboot. The driver will be set with hardware acceration to full by default.

I can run Google Earth on highest settings with no lag now, and DVDs play fine with the MPEG decoding quality set to highest.

Thanks everyone for all your help!

Comment

Working...
                      X