Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Found a solution to the screensaver problem...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found a solution to the screensaver problem...

Code:
    sudo kate ~/.kde/share/config/kdesktoprc
    insert "DPMS-dependent=false" under the screensaver section.

just tried it and it worked perfectly...

Re: Found a solution to the screensaver problem...

did it work for anyone else?

Comment

What 'problem' is this supposed to fix? I for one will not just blindly shoot commands into the konsole without 1/2 knowing what they are for.

Comment

the screensaver one... the one where it still would not work after the upgrade to 3.5.4
        I, along with several others, have created threads in an attempt to find the solution.

Comment

aaahhh.. Ok.. Well, i've never had that boggle. I was hoping this would fix the powersaving problem.

Where when you disable it, reboot and it's enabled again.

Anyrate, thanks for clearing my question.

-Cheers-

Comment

Originally posted by someguyouknow
            Code:
            sudo kate ~/.kde/share/config/kdesktoprc
            insert "DPMS-dependent=false" under the screensaver section.

just tried it and it worked perfectly...
            Man, you are genious
            Thnx 

Comment

haha
              nah... i am not sure it works properly... seems to start early to me...

Comment

Strange, When I used SimplyMepis 6.0 I had this problem but when I installed Kubuntu I no longer had that problem. Wonder why?

Eddie

Comment

howdy,
                  I have been beating my head angainst my montior, now I have a flat-screen. I been trying to figure this thing out.... And you did it thanks for the tip!!!!!!

ps. The most impressive thing 'bout Kubuntu , is you all."helpful n friendly"
                  much thanks

Comment

This fix used to work for me too but now it doesn't anymore.
                    I also tried commenting out the DPMS option in the monitor section of xorg.conf but I still get a blank screen when the screensaver should start.
                    I noticed the first time this happened there was a big capitol X on the screen (just in case that means something to any of the talented folks here)
                    Next I tried running kcontrol as root, from console using sudo I got this
                    "X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 169
                    Major opcode: 147
                    Minor opcode: 3
                    Resource id: 0x0
                    Failed to open device
                    X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 169
                    Major opcode: 147
                    Minor opcode: 3
                    Resource id: 0x0
                    Failed to open device
                    ERROR: Communication problem with kcontrol, it probably crashed."
                    but kcontrol ran anyway & while I was there I saw that no screensaver was selected & nun of them would display.
                    Long story short I think root is taking over the screensaver.
                    Is there a fix for that?

Comment

Gotblade,

as far as I know, the big white X on a large black screen indicates that the xscreensaver daemon is attempting to do his job but more or less fails due to the absence of a proper configuration ... if, as you assume, this is "root's fault", there sould be a file /root/.xscreensaver (beware of the dot ...) - which is supposed to be killed :P you may also check if as well as on who's account this daemon is running (it is supposed to be the current user).

HTH
                      Birdy

Comment

no .xscreensaver in the root folder.
                        I need help with how to check out the rest of what you're talking about.
                        (if nothing else I'd be happy to learn something new)
                        I should maybe mention the xscreensaver daemon works fine. aka xscreensaver-demo but the kde ones only work in test mode.

Comment

OOPS!
                          I installed xscreensaver as a workaround for this problem & put a .desktop in the autostart folder to start the xscreensaver daemon on startup so I didn't try killing that daemon & running the "solarwinds" screensaver to see if it still wasn't working until now. It's working now but why did it work for a while, with the libs I had, before installing the gnome based screensavers & what got messed up?

Comment

Worked for me.

I would like to get the gnome screensavers to work, but I don't understand what putting .desktop in the autostart folder actually means. Could you explain this to me?

Comment

This fix worked for me too! The odd thing was that the screensavers workedintially, then stopped the next day (x was intialized before that). Now I'm trying to figure out why some desktop images work and others don't... Matt
                              Stumper

Comment

Working...
                              X