Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't start gtk apps (synaptic, thunderbird)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't start gtk apps (synaptic, thunderbird)

Using Kubuntu Dapper 6.06.1

I have tried, a couple of times, to give Gnome a try. Decided to stay with KDE and followed the instructions for Pure KDE on Aysiu's excellent site

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purekde

The first time I did this, I needed to reinstall a couple of gtk apps (synaptic, swiftfox, thunderbird etc) and succeeded.

For various reasons, I installed ubuntu-desktop again. Still didn't like it so I followed the psychocats instructions again and this time it uninstalled my KDE as well. No problems, reinstalled Kubuntu desktop and synaptic etc and all was good.

This time (I know, I know) I reinstalled Ubuntu-desktop and this time I couldn't get much past metacity. Went into the KDE d/top and found that my Gtk apps no longer work. Can't get them to start with command line, either. When I try synaptic with cli I get the following error message

X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 168
      Major opcode:  145
      Minor opcode:  3
      Resource id:  0x0
    Failed to open device
    X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 168
      Major opcode:  145
      Minor opcode:  3
      Resource id:  0x0
    Failed to open device
    Segmentation fault

Tried reconfiguring xserver (on advice from google) but no go.

The apps I want to start are all installed but just won't go.

Just wondering if I'm the only one silly enough to get myself in this bind or if I've broken it properly this time.

Thanks in advance

Lowey

I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Re: Can't start gtk apps (synaptic, thunderbird)

Tried to remove gnome using the psychocats instructions and it still wants to remove all my KDE as well. Tried marking each package for removal and at the finish all my KDE apps were in the list as well, so I didn't go for that one.

Short of doing a reinstall (which I am loathe to do, mainly because at the moment I have no way of backing up my home folder) does anyone know a way around this for me?

Cheers

Lowey
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

*bump*

Comment

OK, one last *bump*

I really miss my firefox.

Comment

Hi,

You should make a search on the forum about BadDevice wacom
          I don't really remember but it's all about a paragraph in /etc/X11/xorg.conf with wacom devices which shouldn't be there (at least I guess)

Hope it helped.

Comment

Working...
          X