This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No screen savers to select

I have screensavers installed but do not see them when I right click on the desktop and go to sreensavers. What is interesting is that if I start the program as root user I can see them. Is there something I need to do or is there some sort of authority problem?

Initially I installed Ubuntu 6.06 and then loaded the kubuntu-desktop package.

Thanks for any help!

Re: No screen savers to select

This can happen if you're not careful when editing the k-menu (happened to me as well :P)

The thing is that under System in k-menu there is a hidden Screensavers directory that lists the screensavers (and where the screensaver module picks up the list of available screensavers). If you drastically edit the system menu (if you remove it or maybe rename/move it), the screensaver module can't find the screensavers.

You can test this by renaming ~/.config/menus/applications-kmenuedit.menu, which resets your k-menu changes...this should bring the screensaver list back

I'm sure there's an easier fix for it, but after trying to bring it back by editing ~/.config/menus/applications-kmenuedit.menu by hand (the file was absolutely cryptic since I had done serious modifications to my kmenu ), I decided to backup my original file and re-edited the k-menu with the kmenueditor carefully avoiding messing around with the system menu too much...that way I was able to retain my screensavers.

If someone knows an easier fix, feel free to share

Comment

Working...
    X