This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktop resolution problem

Every timeI fire up my Laptop it defaults to 640x480.

I then use 'SystemSettings' and'Display' to change to 1024x768, and carry on doing what I need to, shutting down when complete.

When I next power up, the same thing happens 640x480.

What is going wrong?

Re: Desktop resolution problem

Apparently your settings aren't being saved. You can try either one of two approaches: (1) from a konsole run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-org" to modify your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, then restart X; or (2) manually edit your xorg.conf file to eliminate all modes from your SubSection "Display" stanzas except for the one you actually want. Again, after saving the file, you have to restart X.

Which ever way you do it, be sure to save your current xorg.conf file first. Personally, I prefer the latter procedure, because then I know exactly where I screwed up.

Comment

Hi, Its been a while but I finally got round to trying the above.

Neither worked. My xorg.conf file only contains the resolution I want but seems to be being ignored.

I had read somewhere that X tries to default to the maximum resolutionof the display, so maybe the X Server is not handling my laptops ATI GPU correctly. It is a ATI Radeon Mobility U1.

Any other ideas?

Comment

Hello,

maybe you should move this thread to the Hardware-Forum . . .

Post your xorg file. It has an entry like this:

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "yourScreen"
        Device "yourDevice"
        Monitor "yourMonitor"
        DefaultDepth 24 <--- thats important, this entry defines wich resolution is used
        SubSection "Display"
        Depth 24
        Modes "1280x1024" 1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"

X, after starting the Server uses always (usualy) the highest available Resolution that is listed in the SubSection listed next to the Entry "DefaultDepth".

Does your DefaultDepth contain in it's SubSection your desired Resolution? If not, try to edit manualy and restart x.
        What is the output of your /var/log/xorg.0.log file. Does it contain any information about an error that occured? (Just the last Lines of the file that fit onto the screen are of importance.

Have you tried to install an ATI-Driver? If not, this has nothing to do with it. You said your x-server starts, just in the wrong resolution.

Comment

Working...
        X