This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adept AND Synaptic Package Manager?

I have just re-installed Kubuntu, removing Ubuntu (after a serious screw up to my system thanks to an initial crash from Compiz/XGL due to one of their updates) everything went mammaries up and I decided that it was time to remove Ubuntu and have just one system on here - the winning one was Kubuntu lol

Anyway...

I now don't have Synaptic Package Manager, I'm presuming that this was a gnome application?

There are a few gnome games that I like, that I can't get from Adept and have no idea why, I've typed them in the search box correctly to the letter... so I am wondering if it is possible to install Synaptic from Adept and use Synaptic ONLY when I wish to install something that is gnome based GTK is it called?

The games being pingus and Mahjongg (yes I am a sick and twisted individual) I'm wondering why they don't come up when I search for them in adept?

so.. can I install Synaptic from Adept, and can I use it for the odd thing without making my system hate me, throw a wobbler and not let me back in again?

PS. My adept is in the middle of a "install 2, upgrade 99, download 184M, installation 88M" so please don't ask me to "pop in and check something" in it
    I don&#39;t have a brain, I have a nucleus, basic functions are a doddle, yet ask me a question and I&#39;m dead.<br /><br />Tamed Nature

Re: Adept AND Synaptic Package Manager?

You can install synaptic with adept although if you use konsole to do a aptitude upgrade, it will want to remove it for you (well, for me at least).

I dont think sysnaptic has anything to do with the availability of gnome apps though. I just took a look at my adept and it has plenty of gnome apps/games. It may have to do with the repositiories you have enabled.

Comment

Re: Adept AND Synaptic Package Manager?

As someguyouknow pointed out, the available packages are not determined by the package manager used, if you have the right repositories enabled, everything will be available on both adept and synaptic.

Originally posted by Carol76
      The games being pingus and Mahjongg (yes I am a sick and twisted individual) I'm wondering why they don't come up when I search for them in adept?
      Pingus is available from the 'universe' repositories, make sure it's enabled.
      AFAIK there isn't a 'mahjongg' package in the repos, the installable options are kmahjongg and xmahjongg (in universe)

You can install and use synaptic on kubuntu (I do so myself), but if you don't have other gtk/gnome apps installed, it will install a few gnome libraries as dependencies.

Comment

Working...
      X