X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some IBM laptop questions.

Thanks for reading my post!

I have installed Kubuntu 6.06 on my IBM laptop and have a few questions / problems that I'm hoping will get answered here. First, a rundown of the machine as it may matter.

IBM Thinkpad A31 Laptop.
    1.6Ghz Pentium 4 Mobile CPU.
    768MB PC2100 RAM.
    30GB HDD.
    Dual boot with Kubuntu Linux and Windows 2000 Professional.
    The latest BIOS upgrade from IBM.
    Microsoft Wireless Optical Laptop Mouse.
    Edimax 802.11G USB Wireless Ethernet.

1.) When I fire up System Settings -> Laptops and Power -> IBM Thinkpad Laptop, it states that it "could not read from nvram" and suggests that I insmod nvram, create the node, and chmod 664 to get these settings to work. So I do just that in a CLI (as root or su) and the return I get is "no such file or directory." Now, before I landed on Kubuntu Linux, I tried a few other distros and these settings worked then. So, what do I have to do to get this to work in Kubuntu?

2.) I thought about trying another way. I checked into installing a package called "tpb." This package is supposed to allow Thinkpad users to be able to use the "special" keys on this laptop. However, if you mark this package for installation, Synaptic suggests that it remove "hotkey-setup" and "kubuntu-desktop." Kinda scary removing "kubuntu-desktop" as I would think this would leave me with the "special keys" working and no GUI!?!? What gives here?

3.) I have toyed around with the power settings to get the laptop to either suspend to RAM or suspend to disk. Both of these settings will suspend the machine only to NEVER come back to life. No amount of keys, function keys, or cursing will wake the laptop up. I'm left with the only option of holding the power button 4 seconds and hard-power off. Not good. I would like to suspend the machine to disk (I feel better about this) but don't know what kind of magic I need to do to get this to work properly. Any suggestions?

Thank you all very much for your time and effort!

Re: Some IBM laptop questions.

for nvram check this site:
    http://www.tuxme.com/node/544/2994

look for thinkpad buttons section

suspend:
    i dont have a a31 but a t42 but suspend to ram works here out of the box. you might run into problems if you use the fglrx driver from ati.
    try suspending by using the klaptopdaemon.

Comment

I went to your suggested site and followed the directions. I did get the options in System Settings to open up however suspending still does not work. Also, strangely enought, the only Thinkpad button I can get working is the IBM Thinkpad button. All the other buttons like mail, home, and search do not work. Still something missing...

Comment

I also am having problems enabling support for an IBM laptop (T20). I followed the above link and attempted to follow the instructions but got stuck at the section which states "Make sure your /etc/udev/permissions.d/udev.permissions has the following lines:". I cannot see this file on my machine to be able to edit it?

Any advice as to where I am going wrong?

Comment

Working...
        X