This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trouble updating clamav

i've installed clamav and klamav on my system, and when i checked for updates of clamav, it said i didn't have the newest version. i downloaded it and ran the wizard, but i get an error and it won't update. here's the log file it generates:

***** Clamav
    ***** Running configure (./configure)...
    checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld
    checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld
    checking target system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld
    creating target.h - canonical system defines
    checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
    checking whether build environment is sane... yes
    checking for gawk... gawk
    checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... no
    checking for gawk... (cached) gawk
    checking for gcc... no
    checking for cc... no
    checking for cl.exe... no
    * configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
    * See `config.log' for more details.
    ***** Return value 1

can anyone give me a hand, please?

Re: trouble updating clamav

no takers?

Comment

Hi
      the update is down loading as a tar ball and needs compiling to do this you need to install the package build-essentials and also gcc from Adept. you may find it has other library's, if so it will give you another error message telling you that they are missing, just install them to.

Hope this solves your problem John

Comment

thanks for the response. i have since installed gcc, but i haven't installed that build-essentials package. i'll give that a try and report back. thanks again.

Comment

okay thanks. got clamav updated. but now klamav won't update and i'm not getting an error returned, so i don't know what's going on with it. everytime i start it up it says that the latest version is available and would i like to download and compile it. i click to do so and it appears to download it, but then nothing else happens. if i restart it it tells me the latest version is still available.

Comment

Hi again the same thing was happening to me. I found that every time you open Klamav if you do not hit cancel before you close it it loads an updater to the task bar as you already by default have one running at start up you end up with multiple instances running these will now be loaded every time you boot. The way to exit them is to select one of the ikon's on the click restore if it is not on the update page select that click cancel close. the ikon will still be one the task bar but will now show as a closed clam now right click it and select quit repeat this process until you have only one ikon left and this is open.

Regards John

Comment

thanks for replying again. our klamav problems are different. i am unable to update my version. i have version .32 installed but when i start up the program and check for a newer version it says that version .38 is the newest. i click to download and install it, and although it appears to download the whole thing it does not update my version. when i completely close down the program (no icon left on the taskbar) and then restart it, it still informs me that version .38 is available.

Comment

I'm quite new to this myself but think that your problem may stem from having installed the automatic updater package for clam clamfreshclam you need to un-check update clamAV in KlamAV.

Hope this solves your problem John.

Comment

no, but thanks for trying.

Comment

Working...
                  X