Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What files to Backup for..(specific stuff)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What files to Backup for..(specific stuff)

Hi
    I can take care of the how part of the backup,  just want to know the 'what all' part
    So I want to  know where (which files/folders) are these settings stored so I can make a quick backup of them using tar.

Answer any you can please

1. keyboard shortcuts - thise that are edited from 'kcontrol'
    , and application specific shortcuts , like konquerors.

2. Kernel - I installed a suspend2 patched kernel, from a few deb fiels. Possible to backup this?

3. downloaded stuff: can I just copy and paste this folder : /var/cache/apt/archives? Or are some other files are needed .

4. the 'task bar' & other desktop settings. - I guess somewhere in ~/.kde , right?

Thats all for now
    few more..
    5. autologin, & other user settings. LIke I created a few users, would simply copying /home/user folder work?

6.keyboard layout - added a keyboard layout, where would this be backed, so that I don't have to add it again.

7. themes/fonts/splash screen and other settings from kcontrol

8. Services! THe one I disabled to speed things up. I wouldn't want to go throught the whole disabling process again..

Thanks

btw why isn't all this info more 'known'? Considering the fact that unlike windows everything in linux can be saved/restored with a few tar commands.
    Isn't it a bit sad where linux is moving?

Re: What files to Backup for..(specific stuff)

All of your KDE settings live in ~/.kde

That's short for /home/grizzly/.kde
    Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

cool,
      but does `/.kde include keyboard layout, autologin as well?

Comment

It includes keyboard layout, but autologin is probably in /root/.kde
        Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Working...
        X